Travelers on our Sicily: Biking the Southern Coastal Villages tour will get to learn how to make a traditional Italian dish, Eggplant Parmigiana, during an included cooking class while staying at the Killikoros Country resort and Spa outside of Noto. VBT Sales Trainer, Laura B., recently returned from this vacation and shared with us the wonderful recipe for what she learned to make while on tour.
• 2 Eggplants
• 4 tbs of Olive Oil
• 1 Cup Grated Parmigiana Cheese
• Fresh Basil
• Fresh Tomato Sauce
How to Prepare:
- Cut the eggplant into ¼ inch slices. Spread some salt on them and leave in a colander for half a day, then fry them in olive oil. Drain and cool.
- Place the slices of eggplant on the bottom of the baking pan, covering the base.
- Cut the prosciutto into small pieces and spread evenly on top of the eggplant
- Spread the grated parmigiana on the prosciutto and eggplant
- Spread tomato save and some basil leaves (do not add too much basil as the cheese could become bitter)
- Sprinkle on some more cheese.
- Repeat steps 2-6 to add a second layer.
- Finish with a layer of eggplants, tomato sauce and cheese
- Cook in the oven for 20 minutes at 400 degrees