Santa Barbara & The Santa Ynez Valley
Sun-splashed, vineyard-cloaked, and rich in culture, southern California is more than long, scenic beaches, magnificent coastal roads, and celebrity enclaves … though it is all of that, too! With VBT, you’ll cycle into heart of it all. Ride the mountain-ringed Santa Ynez Valley to lush vineyards and renowned wineries. Sample a farm-to-table bounty during memorable picnics and meals. Experience the famed Santa Barbara coast during beach idylls and a sunset sail. And witness an astonishing architectural legacy, from a spectacular Franciscan mission to a quaint European-style town founded by Danes.
- Savor a picnic lunch and wine tasting at Bridlewood Estate Winery
- Learn about the wines of the Central Coast during two included vineyard visits and tastings
- Enjoy 5 nights in superb California inns, each with a stellar location affording easy access to restaurants, museums and galleries
- Be wowed by views of the Pacific Coast and the sound of the surf while cycling
- Explore the impressive Santa Barbara Mission, considered the best of all 21 California missions, during a private, docent-led visit
- See Santa Barbara from the Pacific during a sunset wine and cheese sail
- Explore lively Santa Barbara and its exceptional art and food scene
- Ride VBT’s Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5 performance road bike, at no additional charge
What to Expect
This tour offers options on easier terrain with the occasional hill and the opportunity for some longer rides and moderate climbing. The majority of the rides are on quieter roads alongside vehicular traffic, some with marked bike lanes. About a quarter of the riding is on bike paths. Our VBT van support shuttle is always available throughout the trip.
Average Daily Mileage: 12 – 35 miles
Average Cycling Time: 1 1/2 – 3 1/2 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Santa Barbara
Sep 75°/60° Oct 73°/56° Nov 69°/50°
Average Precipitation (in.) – Santa Barbara
Sep .1 Oct 1.9 Nov 1.8
- 5 nights in superb Californian inns
- 11 meals – 5 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 2 dinners
- FREE use of our custom VBT bicycle (including the upgraded Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5) and helmet use
- Service of two VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- Two included wine tastings at local vineyards
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation. See details.
- Good Buy Plan
Click here to download our Suggested Reading List.