Mississippi: The Natchez Trace
The satisfying joys of Southern hospitality, history, charm, and cuisine meet the modern efficiency of the nation’s longest and smoothest bike path on this discovery of pastoral and elegant Mississippi. As we cycle along the Natchez Trace Parkway—a paved two-lane roadway 71 years in the making—we’ll explore farmland, forest, and battlefield, with fascinating stops at plantation sites, unique museums, and relaxing gardens. Of course, no stay in Mississippi is complete without nights at historic inns and freshly prepared meals that offer the tasty best of Southern seafood, game, and produce. There’s no better way to pedal and relax in the midst of peerless Southern ambiance.
- Cycle the smooth, winding, pastoral Natchez Trace Parkway, part of a 444-mile trail.
- Visit a 19th-century ghost town, Rocky Springs, brought low by bad luck and weevils.
- Discover historic Port Gibson, declared “too beautiful to burn” by General Grant.
- Learn about the devastating battle of Vicksburg and ride along the park’s rolling hills.
- Peruse a unique museum dedicated to a rare Union ironclad vessel, the USS Cairo.
- Delight in pure Southern hospitality at the finest inns of Vicksburg and Natchez.
- Explore Emerald Mound, a sacred, centuries-old site of the Natchez Indians.
- Savor exquisite Southern cuisine, from buttermilk biscuits to pecan pie to mint juleps.
What to Expect
This tour features easy terrain mixed with some rolling hills (most notably on Day 3, inside Vicksburg National Military Park). Our VBT van support shuttle is always available for those who need assistance. This trip is ideal for both beginning and experienced cyclists.
Average Daily Mileage: 15-49 miles
Average Cycling Time: 2-5 hours
Average Temperature (°F) – Vicksburg
Mar 57° Apr 64° May 73° Oct 66° Nov 56°
Average Rainfall (in.) – Vicksburg
Mar 6.4 Apr 5.5 May 5.5 Oct 3.8 Nov 5.1
- 5 nights in historic, antebellum inns
- 11 meals – 5 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners
- FREE use of our custom VBT bicycle and helmet
- Service of two VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- Guided tour of the Vicksburg National Military Park
- 5-course candlelight dinner at Monmouth Historic Inn
- Tour of the USS Cairo Museum
- Guided tours of three antebellum homes in Natchez
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation
- Special Good Buy Discount
New! Reading List
Click here to download our Suggested Reading List.