Cape Cod & Martha's Vineyard
Explore the wonders of Massachusetts’ southeastern coast and biggest island on a cycling vacation through the Bay State’s most scenic destinations. We set out from our bayside resort and follow the famous Cape Cod Rail Trail to many seaside vistas along a National Seashore where we’ll learn about this fragile ecosystem while dipping our toes in the refreshing Atlantic waters. Our sojourn continues on the island of Martha’s Vineyard as we ride by its sleepy fishing villages, past sandy beaches and through 5,000-acre forest of pine and scrub oaks. Join VBT and experience the essence of coastal New England like we can reveal.
• Cycle the lovely Cape Cod Rail Trail, among the finest on the East Coast
• Delight in views of Nauset Marsh at the Salt Pond Visitors Center
• Enjoy 5 nights at renowned resort inns, with plenty of time for recreation
• Cycle through the Cape Cod National Seashore, gathering for a picnic lunch
• Discover historic East Chop Lighthouse, on Martha’s Vineyard
• Share a picnic lunch at the famed summer resort of Oak Bluffs
• Pedal along the Vineyard’s State Beach bike path
• Admire the work of Vineyard Haven’s wonderful artisans
• Cycle through beautiful Cornelius State Forest
• Ride by breathtaking Aquinnah cliffs and through Menemsha village
What to Expect
This tour offers mostly easy terrain with the occasional rolling hill and the opportunity for some longer rides. Our VBT van support shuttle is always available throughout the trip. During peak season, roughly July 4 to August 21, there is more traffic on the Cape and Islands, but you will get to experience the best weather and have the opportunity to explore lively bike paths, beaches, shops and restaurants.
Average Daily Mileage: 18 – 62 miles
Average Cycling Time: 2 – 4 1/2 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Edgartown
May 64°/46° Jun 73°/56° Jul 79°/62° Aug 78°/61° Sep 72°/55° Oct 63°/45°
Average Precipitation (in.) – Edgartown
May 3.8 Jun 3.2 Jul 2.8 Aug 4.1 Sep 3.6 Oct 3.8
- 5 nights in historic New England inns
- 10 meals – 5 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 2 dinners
- FREE use of our custom VBT bicycle and helmet
- Service of two VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- Special Good Buy Discount
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation. See details.
New! Reading List
Click here to download our Suggested Reading List.