Cape Cod & Martha's Vineyard
Explore the wonders of Massachusetts’ southeastern coast and biggest island on a cycling vacation through the Bay State’s most scenic destinations. We set out from our bayside resort and follow the famous Cape Cod Rail Trail to many seaside vistas along a National Seashore where we’ll learn about this fragile ecosystem while dipping our toes in the refreshing Atlantic waters. Our sojourn continues on the island of Martha’s Vineyard as we ride by its sleepy fishing villages, past sandy beaches and through 5,000-acre forest of pine and scrub oaks. Join VBT and experience the essence of coastal New England like we can reveal.
- Cruise along a scenic rail trail to the Cape Cod National Seashore’s Salt Pond Visitor Center and explore its comprehensive museum.
- Browse the shops of Oak Bluffs and admire the colorful 19th-century gingerbread cottages that surround the village green.
- Browse the hand-made wares of local artisans in stores like Chilmark Pottery, Martha's Vineyard Glassworks, and the Granary Gallery.
- Explore the Vineyard’s best-known natural feature, the vibrant clay Aquinnah Cliffs and the beach they tower over.
- Take a unique bike ferry to the fishing port of Menemsha, famously known as the filming locale for Jaws’.
What to Expect
This tour offers mostly easy terrain with the occasional rolling hill and the opportunity for some longer rides. Our VBT van support shuttle is always available throughout the trip. During peak season, roughly July 4 to August 21, there is more traffic on the Cape and Islands, but you will get to experience the best weather and have the opportunity to explore lively bike paths, beaches, shops and restaurants.
Average Daily Mileage: 18 – 62 miles
Average Cycling Time: 2 – 4 1/2 hours
Average Daily Temperature (°F) – Edgartown
Apr 54° May 63° Jun 72° Jul 78° Aug 77° Sep 71° Oct 62°
Average Rainfall (in.) – Edgartown
Apr 4.1 May 3.5 Jun 3.5 Jul 3.1 Aug 3.9 Sep 3.5 Oct 3.9
- 5 nights in historic New England inns
- 10 meals – 5 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 2 dinners
- FREE use of our custom VBT bicycle and helmet
- Service of two VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- Ride to and visit the Cape Cod National Seashore's main visitor facility - Salt Pond Visitor Center
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation
- Special Good Buy Discount
- The option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extension: Pre-trip: Boston – 2 nights for only $495