Alsace & the Black Forest: La Route des Vins
Begin in a pedestrian-friendly spa town—and perhaps take a dip in an ancient thermal bath. Your journey continues through the Black Forest, where you’ll encounter charming traditions in half-timbered villages, as well as stunning mountain views. And discover the wine region of Alsace, where French and German culture, language and cuisine are uniquely fused. Hearty breakfasts, homemade pastry, fine dining and more ensure that you have a true taste of the region.
- Explore three countries on a single journey—and even in a single day!
- Marvel at stunning views of the Vosges Mountains.
- Stroll quaint villages of half-timbered houses and cobbled streets.
- Enjoy a guided tour of 2,000-year-old Roman ruins in the spa town of Badenweiler.
- Immerse yourself in the dual French and German culture of Alsace.
- Behold Eguisheim, acclaimed as one of the most beautiful villages in France.
- Embark on a “floating tour” of Colmar’s old town aboard a small boat.
- Cycle some of the most scenic stretches of the Route des Vins—the Wine Route.
- Bite into the famous Black Forest cake of a skilled pastry chef.
- Tour charming Strasbourg with a local guide.
What To Expect
This tour features easy to moderate terrain, with options for longer rides. Our VBT van support shuttle is always available for those who need assistance. This tour is ideal for both enthusiastic beginners and experienced cyclists.
Average Daily Mileage: 12 – 40 miles (20 – 65 km)
Average Cycling Time: 2 – 6 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Colmar
Apr 60º/40º May 69º/46º Jun 74º/51º Jul 78º/55º Aug 77º/55º Sep 71º/50º Oct 59º/43º
Average Rainfall (in.) – Colmar
Apr 1.7 May 2.2 Jun 2.8 Jul 2.6 Aug 2.8 Sep 2.4 Oct 1.8
E-Bikes Available on this tour.
Limited quantities — first come, first served. Learn more.
Bicycle Vacation Only – without Air
- 6 nights in 3- and 4-star hotels and villas
- 11 meals – 6 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 3 dinners
Air Package Plus
- Roundtrip international airfare
- 6 nights in 3- and 4-star hotels
PLUS: 2 extra nights in 3- and 4-star hotels in Basel and Strasbourg
- 13 meals – 8 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 3 dinners
- ALL overseas transfers
- AND the option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extensions:
Pre-trip: Basel – 2 nights for only $345
Post-trip: Strasbourg – 2 nights for only $195-295*
Both Vacation Options Include
- FREE use of our custom VBT bicycle and helmet
- Service of two bilingual VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception with local wine and hors d’oeuvres
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- Earn 5% Frequent Traveler Credit on this tour to use on a future VBT vacation. See details.