Charleston to Savannah: A Southern Reel
We’ve charted a course down paths lined with Spanish moss-draped trees, through the waters of a richly diverse estuary, and along the charming shore of the Intracoastal Waterway. During the journey, you’ll see the fort where Edgar Allan Poe once served, delve into the historic culture of freed slaves, and spend time pursuing your own pleasures in two of the most welcoming cities in the South.
- View sailboats, pastel-colored houses and historic Fort Sumter on a leisurely reel through Charleston.
- Inhale the sea breeze as you island-hop along the Intracoastal Waterway
- Explore Fort Moultrie, where Edgar Allan Poe once served in the military
- Kayak through an estuarine landscape of forests, fresh and saltwater marshes, cypress swamps and ponds
- Discover why Beaufort was named “the South’s Best Small Town” by Southern Living in 2017
- Delve into the culture of the Gullah people—African-American residents of the Sea Islands—at the Penn Center
- Take in the antebellum beauty of Beaufort on a guided tour
- Stroll a living timeline in beautiful Savannah, enriched by the insights of a local guide
- Promenade along a breathtaking avenue lined with live oaks en route to historic Wormsloe Plantation
- Roll past the moss-hung gardens of Bonaventure Cemetery, featured in the novel Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
What to Expect
This tour offers options for easy rides throughout the trip. Our VBT van support shuttle is always available for those who need assistance. This vacation is ideal for beginning and casual cyclists.
Average Daily Mileage: 13-28 miles
Average Cycling Time: 2-3 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Beaufort
Mar 68º/48º Apr 76º/55º May 83º/64º Sep 85º/69º Oct 77º/58º Nov 69º/48º
Average Precipitation (in.) – Beaufort
Mar 3.5 Apr 3 May 3 Sep 5 Oct 3 Nov 2.5
E-Bikes Available on this tour.
Limited quantities — first come, first served. Learn more.
- 6 nights in distinctive Southern inns in the heart of town
- 12 meals – 6 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners
- FREE use of our custom VBT bicycle and helmet – E-Bikes available
- Service of two VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- Guided walking tours of Beaufort and Savannah
- Beaufort social and Lowcountry boil
- Guided kayaking tour in Beufort salt marshes
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation. See details.