Puglia: Italy's Undiscovered Coast
Set on the sturdy heel of the Italian boot, coastal Puglia shares the Adriatic and Ionian Seas, with a long history and colorful culture and cuisine that evoke its past Spanish, Turkish, and Norman settlers. But the quiet pace of life and Puglians’ devotion to their farms, groves, and vineyards create an ambiance that is unique in all of Europe. Our stays at genuine masserie—centuries-old fortified villages made into country hotels—place us squarely in the refreshing daily life of the local people. From Puglia’s iconic whitewashed trulli dwellings to its glittering coastline and inviting azure waters, rare discoveries await us.
- Cycle peaceful country roads past centuries-old olive groves.
- Explore the delightful maze of pedestrian streets in Monopli’s old city center.
- Feel the pulse of Puglian life while staying at authentic masserie country hotels.
- Savor a home-hosted lunch and an exclusive olive-oil tasting at a country farm.
- Admire the exquisite, whitewashed trulli stone dwellings in the Itria Valley.
- Pedal from the walled city of Acaya to the ragged coast of Salento.
- Envision the Italian past amid the great walls and ramparts of Otranto.
- Follow the cliff-side path from quiet Santa Cesarea to the azure sea of Porto Badisco.
What to Expect
This tour offers easy terrain throughout the trip and is ideal for beginning cyclists.
Average Daily Mileage: 15 – 35 miles
Average Cycling Time: 2 – 4 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Otranto
Mar 55º/46º Apr 60º/50º May 68º/55º Jun 75º/62º Jul 80º/68º Aug 80º/68º Sep 75º/64º Oct 68º/57º
Average Precipitation (in.) – Otranto
Mar 3 Apr 2 May 1 Jun 1 Jul .3 Aug .3 Sep 2.5 Oct 4
Bicycle Tour Only – without Air
- 6 nights in 4- and 5-star hotels and authentic masserie
- 12 meals – 6 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 4 dinners
Air Package Plus
- Roundtrip international airfare
- 8 nights in 4- and 5-star hotels and authentic masserie
- 14 meals – 8 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 4 dinners
- AND the option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extensions: Pre-trip: Matera – 2 nights for only $395* • Post-trip: Rome – 3 nights for only $595*
Both Vacation Options Include
- Free use of our custom VBT bicycle and helmet
- Service of two local, bilingual VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Daily route directions and maps
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation
- Special Good Buy Discount
New! Reading List
Click here to download our Suggested Reading List.