Italy: The Quiet Pathways of Tuscany
Lush, rolling hills laced with verdant vineyards and cypress trees, fertile meadows awash with vibrant sunflowers and poppies, picturesque hilltop villages steeped in Renaissance history. Experience the legendary landscapes of Tuscany on foot with VBT. Join us as we explore the magnificent piazzas of Siena and Pienza, discover the thermal wonders of Bagno Vignoni, and admire the colorful frescoes of Monte Oliveto Maggiore. We’ll also sample the region’s celebrated Chianti and Brunello wines, and savor fresh, flavorful Tuscan cuisine during al fresco lunches in scenic San Guzme and the picturesque Starcia Valley.
- Rise early for a morning stroll and cappuccino with Sienese locals.
- Taste Chianti classico in the cellars of a Relais & Châteaux agriturismo.
- Walk the medieval city of Siena with a local expert.
- Relax in a classic Renaissance garden in San Quirico d’Orcia.
- Walk the historic Via Francigena pilgrimage route
- Indulge in the natural hot springs of Bagno Vignoni.
- Explore the UNESCO World Heritage Sites of Siena and Pienza.
- Savor Tuscan picnics in San Gusmé and the Starcia Valley.
- Walk the classic Tuscan landscape in the Crete Senesi.
- See the frescoes at 14th-century Monte Oliveto Maggiore.
- Sample soft Brunello wine in a Montalcino enoteca.
What To Expect
This tour features a combination of mostly unpaved footpaths, well-worn trails in the woods or in the countryside, and some very short stretches on paved road. In Chianti, you also walk on typical “white roads’ (well-traveled gravel roads shared by occasional auto traffic). Easy flat stretches alternate with some short hills. Optional, more moderate walks or hikes are often available. On rainy days, the footpaths can be wet and muddy. City walks are on paved and cobblestone roads. Our VBT support vehicle is available at specific meeting points for those who need assistance. Ideal for enthusiastic beginners and experienced walkers. Several of the walks require a transfer from our hotel to the start of the walk. Our Trip Leaders often use this time in the van for our morning route review, so we can enjoy a more leisurely morning at breakfast.
Average Daily Mileage: 4 – 8 miles (6.4–12.8 km)
Average Walking Time: 2 – 5 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Florence
Apr 68º/46º May 75º/53º Jun 84º/58º Sep 81º/58º Oct 69º/51º
Average Precipitation (in.) – Florence
Apr 3 May 3 Jun 3 Sep 3.5 Oct 4
Walking Vacatopm Only – without Air
- 6 nights in historical 4-star hotels
- 11 meals – 6 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 3 dinners
Air Package Plus
- Roundtrip international airfare
- 8 nights in historic 4-star hotels
- 13 meals – 8 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 3 dinners
- AND the option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extension: Pre-trip: Florence– 2 nights for only $395 • Post-trip: Rome – 2 nights for only $395
Both Vacation Options Include
- Service of two bilingual VBT Trip Leaders
- On-tour vehicle support
- FREE use of our custom VBT walking poles
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- Special Good Buy Discount
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation. See details.
New! Reading List
Click here to download our Suggested Reading List.