Florida’s Historic Coast Bike Vacation
Cycle right into a side of Florida you might not expect on this journey along its northeast coast. Here, you can settle into a more relaxed pace as you bike through state parks, fertile fields, and small, rural villages. You’ll also enter the region’s fascinating blend of Spanish, French and English heritage as you explore historic districts with colorful architecture, and discover a community where cultural icons like Zora Neale Hurston and Ray Charles have soaked up rays. Cruises by boat and kayak complement your cycling days.
- Feel the relaxing pace of daily life with 5 nights in luxurious small inns and hotels
- Cycle through lovely historic districts and along protected island beaches
- Discover a rich architectural heritage, reflecting Spanish, French and English influences
- Walk from your inn through charming and historic Fernandina Beach
- Paddle your kayak through beautiful Timucuan Ecological and Historical Preserve
- Gather for a picnic lunch of fresh, locally sourced ingredients
- Discover the dramatic legacy of Southern life at Kingsley Plantation
- Cycle through Anastasia State Park, rich with wildlife and pristine beaches
- Enjoy a guided visit at St. Augustine Lighthouse, where breathtaking views await
- Board the schooner Freedom for a delightful sunset sail (or take a scenic cruise on select dates)
What to Expect
This tour offers riding almost exclusively on roadways alongside vehicular traffic. In many cases, roadways have marked bike lanes. We have chosen quieter options where possible. Scenic A1A is busier but accustomed to bicycle traffic. There are no hills or dirt roads. Of course, our VBT van support shuttle is always available for those who need assistance or wish for a shorter ride option.
Average Daily Mileage: 15 – 30 miles
Average Cycling Time: 2 – 4 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – St. Augustine
Jan 68°/47° Feb 68°/47° Mar 74°/53° Apr 79°/58° Oct 81°/64° Nov 74°/54° Dec 69°/48°
Average Precipitation (in.) – St. Augustine
Jan 2.5 Feb 3.1 Mar 3.4 Apr 2.9 Oct 5.5 Nov 2.3 Dec 2.8
- 5 nights in luxurious, small inns and hotels
- 11 meals – 5 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 2 dinners
- FREE use of our custom VBT bicycle and helmet
- Service of two VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- A kayak excursion in the Timucuan Preserve
- Sunset sail on the schooner Freedom (or scenic cruise on select dates)
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation. See details.
- Special Good Buy Discount
Click here to download our Suggested Reading List.