Charleston to Savannah: A Southern Reel
Two refined cultural centers of the Old South, Charleston and Savannah are communities that deeply treasure their architecture, cultural traditions, cuisine, and distinctive charms. Cities made for cycling, ambling, and dining, they welcome visitors with visions of moss-draped oaks, breathtaking mansions, and inviting streets and waterways. In signature VBT style, we’ll stay at three exquisite inns for two nights each, giving us plenty of time to savor the rewarding byways, antebellum buildings, and irresistible hospitality of our hosts. And, yes, we’ll cycle the 1.5-mile-long live oak avenue at Wormsloe Plantation and dance the Virginia Reel at a Beaufort social.
- Follow the peaceful Intercoastal Waterway from Sullivan’s Island to the Isle of Hope.
- Relax at a uniquely Southern pace with two nights each at three distinctive inns.
- Dance the Virginia Reel at a genuine Beaufort social, a grand Southern tradition.
- Tour the country’s only tea plantation and admire Angel Oak, one of the country’s oldest.
- Discover the mansions and squares of Beaufort and Savannah on charming walking tours.
- Cycle to dramatic Wormsloe Plantation and moss-hung Bonaventure Cemetery.
- Enjoy a walking tour of Savannah, the celebrated “Hostess City of the South”
- Enjoy free time in Charleston and Savannah to make your own discoveries.
- Gather for dinner at The Olde Pinke House, a Savannah treasure since 1771.
What to Expect
This tour offers options for easy rides throughout the trip. Our VBT van support shuttle is always available for those who need assistance. This vacation is ideal for beginning and casual cyclists.
Average Daily Mileage: 13-28 miles
Average Cycling Time: 2-3 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Beaufort
Mar 68º/48º Apr 76º/55º May 83º/64º Sep 85º/69º Oct 77º/58º Nov 69º/48º
Average Precipitation (in.) – Beaufort
Mar 3.5 Apr 3 May 3 Sep 5 Oct 3 Nov 2.5
- 6 nights in distinctive Southern inns, each in the heart of town
- 12 meals – 6 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners
- FREE use of our custom VBT bicycle and helmet
- Service of two VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- Historic walking tour of Beaufort
- Beaufort Social
- Narrated tour of Savannah
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation
- Special Good Buy Discount