Charleston to Savannah: A Southern Reel
Two beguiling cities bookend your cycle through the heart of the Old South. On your bicycling excursions, you’ll draw close to historic mansions, farms, and gardens, while exclusive events like a country social and visits to a tea plantation and an African-American cultural center carry you into its unique traditions, culinary delights, and distinctive charms. Breathe in the sea air along the way, as you admire moss-draped oaks, carefully tended vineyards, golden beaches, and more. And it’s all been carefully paced to match the easygoing lifestyle of the South.
- Get a real feel for Southern life with 6 nights in distinctive inns right in town
- Cycle through Sullivan’s Island to the Isle of Palms, with stunning beach views
- Enjoy leisure time to make your own discoveries in Charleston
- Marvel at the 1,500-year-old Angel Oak, on Johns Island
- Tour a working tea plantation on Wadmalaw Island, followed by a picnic lunch
- Join in the dancing and merriment at a genuine Beaufort social, a Southern tradition
- Visit historic Penn Center, where Martin Luther King, Jr. met for annual retreats
- Stroll by mansions on the streets of Beaufort on a guided walking tour
- Discover exquisite Savannah with plenty of time on your own
- Cycle to stunning Wormsloe Plantation, with its 1.5-mile avenue of oaks
What to Expect
This tour offers options for easy rides throughout the trip. Our VBT van support shuttle is always available for those who need assistance. This vacation is ideal for beginning and casual cyclists.
Average Daily Mileage: 13-28 miles
Average Cycling Time: 2-3 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Beaufort
Mar 68º/48º Apr 76º/55º May 83º/64º Sep 85º/69º Oct 77º/58º Nov 69º/48º
Average Precipitation (in.) – Beaufort
Mar 3.5 Apr 3 May 3 Sep 5 Oct 3 Nov 2.5
- 6 nights in distinctive Southern inns, each in the heart of town
- 12 meals – 6 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners
- FREE use of our custom VBT bicycle and helmet
- Service of two VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- Guided walking tours of Beaufort and Savannah
- Beaufort Social
- Special Good Buy Discount
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation. See details.
Click here to download our Suggested Reading List.