California Wine Country & the Pacific Coast
Graced with fertile soil, plentiful sun, and soothing Pacific Coast air, California’s north coast is heaven on earth for lovers of wine—and cyclists. Both lowlands and gently rolling hills are situated along the surf-kissed roadways, with meandering rivers inland and majestic redwoods skyward. You’ll delight in five nights in exquisite lodgings in Sonoma, Healdsburg, and Bodega Bay, and have plenty of time to make your own discoveries amid a lively gallery scene. The contemporary farm-to-table movement began in California, and you’ll savor its best at included at two picnic lunches and two wine tastings.
- Cycle Carneros’s low hills and flatlands along San Pablo Bay
- Delight in a picnic lunch and wine tasting at Madonna Estate Winery
- Enjoy plenty of free time to discover more Sonoma wineries
- Pedal through Sonoma’s inspiring Valley of the Moon
- Savor 5 nights in superb California inns, with grand views
- Have breakfast in Bodega Bay, made famous by Hitchcock
- Marvel at the Pacific Coast and the sound of the surf while cycling
- Surround yourself thrillingly in a majestic redwoods preserve
- Share a picnic lunch at Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Reserve
- Explore vibrant Healdsburg and its exceptional galleries
- Cycle the lush Pinot Noir vineyards of the Alexander Valley
- Pedal through the winding landscape of Dry Creek Valley
What to Expect
This tour offers mostly easy terrain with the occasional rolling hill and the opportunity for some longer rides. Our VBT van support shuttle is always available throughout the trip.
Average Daily Mileage: 18 – 44 miles
Average Cycling Time: 2 – 4 1/2 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Napa
Apr 70°/42° May 73°/44° Jun 78°/47° Jul 82°/50° Aug 79°/49° Sep 80°/47° Oct 76°/44°
Average Precipitation (in.) – Sonoma
Apr 1 May 1 Jun 0 Jul 0 Aug 0 Sep 0 Oct 1
E-Bikes Available on this tour.
Limited quantities — first come, first serve. Learn more.
- 5 nights in superb Californian inns
- 11 meals – 5 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners
- FREE use of our custom VBT bicycle and helmet — New E-Bikes available
- Service of two VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- Tour and tasting at a local olive oil press
- Two included wine tastings at local vineyards
- Good Buy Plan
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation. See details.
- The option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extension: Pre-trip: San Francisco – 2 nights for only $395
Fuji Gran Fondo
For more info see our VBT Bikes page.
New! Reading List
Click here to download our Suggested Reading List.