Biking Southern Vermont: A New England Idyll
The rolling hills and verdant pastures of bucolic Windsor County provide an exquisite backdrop as you cycle through the pristine Vermont countryside. We’ll be immersed in the mountain lifestyle where hard-working Vermonters live off the land and devote their lives to making delectable goods from pure maple syrup to award winning artisanal cheeses and locally made craft beer. Along the way we’ll tour the boyhood home of Vermont-born President Coolidge, learn about the forefather of environmental sustainability, and stay in the historic Woodstock Inn, located just steps from one of “America's Best Main Streets”.
- Explore the gardens and grounds at the Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Historic Park and tour environmental innovator George Perkins Marsh’s boyhood home.
- Sample maple syrup at a local sugarhouse and learn how sap from a Sugar Maple Tree is transformed into “liquid gold”
- Enjoy the comforts of the Woodstock Inn, named of one of the 500 World’s Best Hotels by Travel + Leisure in 2015
- Visit a Presidential Homestead and hear the story of how Calvin Coolidge became our 30th President in the living room of his boyhood home
- Cycle past North Chester's famed Stone Village, a quintessential Vermont community of houses built from locally-sourced granite
- Sip award-winning beers at one of Vermont’s most well-known craft breweries
What To Expect
This tour offers a combination of easy terrain mixed with moderate hills and is ideal for both beginning and experienced cyclists. Our VBT van support shuttle is always available for those who need assistance.
Average Daily Mileage: 10 – 37 miles
Average Cycling Time: 2 – 4 hours
Average Daily Temperature (°F) – Woodstock
May 68° Jun 77° Jul 81° Aug 79° Sep 72° Oct 58°
Average Rainfall (in.) – Woodstock
May 3.8 Jun 3.4 Jul 4 Aug 3.6 Sep 3.6 Oct 4.5
- 5 nights in historic inns
- 11 meals – 5 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners
- FREE use of our custom VBT bicycle and helmet
- Service of two VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- Admission to the Vermont Institute of Natural Science
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation
- Special Good Buy Discount
- AND the option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extension: Pre-trip: Norwich-Hanover – 2 nights for only $345*
*Please note: For those traveling in 2015, the Pre-Trip is $295, single supplement $295.