From Charles Dickens to Ernest Hemingway to Franz Liszt, the world’s most creative minds have long drawn inspiration from Italy’s Lake District.
And small wonder: With its crystalline lakes, soaring, snowcapped mountains and charming medieval villages, the region is nothing short of magical. Join VBT as we stroll the scenic shores of lakes Como, Maggiore and Orta … explore opulent Renaissance villas boasting lavishly landscaped gardens … and savor the acclaimed wines and cuisine of Piedmont and Lombardy. By the end of our stay, we’ll surely agree with Percy Shelley that this area “exceeds anything I ever beheld in beauty.”
Walking Tour Only – without Air
- 6 nights in elegant 3 and 4-star hotels
- 12 meals – 6 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners
- 8 nights in 4-star hotels
- 14 meals – 8 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners
- Roundtrip international airfare
- And the option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extensions: Pre-trip: Lake Como
– 2 nights for only $245 • Post-trip: Milan
– 2 nights for only $295
Both Vacation Options
- Service of two bilingual VBT Trip Leaders
- On-tour vehicle/ferry support
- FREE use of our custom VBT walking poles
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT
- Special Good Buy Discount
- Enjoy a guided tour of the opulent Palazzo Borromeo and its lush, terraced gardens
- Savor fresh cheese and other local specialties during a picnic lunch at a Coiromonte farm
- Discover enchanting Monte Sacro, a monastic complex devoted to St. Francis of Assisi and a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Walk through the
romantic scenery of the Lake district,
smelling gardens and strolling verdant shores.
- Visit sumptuous
villas and gardens that inspired many artists for centuries.
- Enjoy a ride on
a cable car to 3,500 feet, with sweeping views of Lake
- Sample Piedmont wines in the shop and cellar of a characteristic
- Learn about
Saint Julius who brought Christianity to Orta, during a visit to the fourth-century
basilica on the little island
of San Giulio.
- Emerge in the
mystical atmosphere of Monte Sacro as you ascend to this monastic complex, a UNESCO
World Heritage Site.
- Picnic in the
shade of softwoods after a scenic descent from 3,500 feet.
- Dine on the tiny
Isola dei Pescatori, or fisherman island, at sunset on the romantic lake shore.
What to Expect
This tour features a combination of easy terrain and paved
roads mixed with some very short hills. Walks are in open countryside and small
cities, sometimes on uneven footpaths over grass and soil pathways and cobbled
streets. It is ideal for enthusiastic beginners and experienced walkers. It is
always very important to wear appropriate shoes with excellent tread to ensure
the perfect grip on uneven and rocky terrain. We plan both longer optional
walks and short easy options for those who want to spend more time on their own
exploring the cities and surroundings. Be prepared to use ferry and motorboats
extensively for our transfers. Both morning and afternoon or evening options
are available every day. Several of the walks require a transfer from our hotel to
the start of the walk. Our tour leaders often use this time in the van for our
morning route review, so we can enjoy a more leisurely morning at breakfast.
- Activity Level: Easy
- Average Daily Mileage: 2 – 5 miles
- Average Daily Walking Time: 1 – 3 hours
Please note: Be prepared to
make transfers by ferry and motorboat. Any luggage will be transferred by