Spain’s Costa Brava: Cycling Dali’s Landscapes
The surrealist painter Salvador Dali, best known for his painting “The Persistence of Memory,” was inspired by this northeast corner of Spain, in the foothills of the Pyrenees. Strikingly beautiful, Catalonia boasts a unique culture all its own, as you’ll discover as you pedal through medieval villages and past scenic landscapes dotted with sunflower fields, fruit orchards and farms. You’ll also savor the flavors of the local cuisine and wines, cruise along the scenic Costa Brava shore onboard a privately chartered boat, tour Dali’s Pubol Castle, picnic under the shade of cork trees, and visit the galleries of contemporary artists on a vacation that will persist in your memory, too.
• Embark on a guided walking tour of Girona, cultural capital of Catalonia
• Glimpse Dali’s personal life at Pubol Castle
• Savor local flavors
• Step back in time in Baix Empordà’s medieval villages
• Gaze at the snow-capped Pyrenees as you cycle through Costa Brava’s diverse landscape
• Savor a bucolic picnic under the shade of cork trees near the French border
• View one of the finest amphitheaters outside of Rome on a guided tour
• Take a private cruise along the Costa Brava
• Explore the medieval town of Torroella de Montgri
• Visit the Dali Museum in Figueres, his birthplace
• Sample some of Catalonia’s finest wines
What to Expect
This tour offers easy terrain throughout the trip and is ideal for beginning cyclists, however there may be some challenging hills for non-enthusiastic riders. VBT van support shuttle is always available for those who would like assistance. Some roads may have busier traffic during the popular month of June and the first 2 weeks of September.
Average Daily Mileage: 15 – 35 miles
Average Cycling Time: 2 – 4 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Barcelona
Mar 61°/44° Apr 61°/44° May 64°/47° Jun 69°/54° Sep 78°/62° Oct 71°/55°
Average Precipitation (in.) – Barcelona
Mar 1.6 Apr 1.9 May 2.3 Jun 1.6 Sep 3.4 Oct 3.6
E-Bikes Available on this tour.
Limited quantities — first come, first serve. Learn more.
Bicycle Vacation Only – Without Air
- 6 nights in 4-star hotels
- 13 meals – 6 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 4 dinners
Air Package Plus
- Roundtrip international airfare
- 8 nights in 4-star hotels
- 15 meals – 8 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 4 dinners
- AND the option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extensions: Pre-trip: Barcelona – 2 nights for only $595 • Post-trip: Mallorca – 2 nights for only $595
Both Vacations Include
- FREE use of our custom VBT bicycle and helmet — New E-Bikes available
- Service of two bilingual VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Welcome reception
- Daily route directions and maps
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- Special Good Buy Discount
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation. See details.