Puglia: Italy's Undiscovered Coast
Experience la dolce vita at its most authentic during an invigorating ride through Puglia, draped with fertile farms, stone-sculpted seaside villages, traditional trulli huts, and dramatic shores. Join VBT in this seldom visited corner of Italy, where olive groves yield a golden elixir and Adriatic breezes send the spirit soaring. Charming old harbors, limestone cities, and Italian warmth greet you at every bend. And your discoveries continue into each evening at historic masserie, fortified farms where the bounty of the earth reveals the heart of this special and unique place.
- Enjoy incomparable accommodations with 6 nights at rustic masserie and countryside hotels
- Discover the stone trulli dwellings of Alberobello on a guided walking tour
- Ride along quiet country roads to coastal Egnatia, past olive groves 800 years old
- Cycle to Monopoli, where you’ll visit the lovely cathedral and admire the old harbor
- Share a farm-fresh lunch and taste delicious olive oils with your masseria hosts
- Bike from the ancient walled city of Acaya to the beautiful, rugged coast
- Enjoy a ride along quiet country roads by the small and lovely Alimini Lakes
- Pedal through timeless quaint villages on your way to the sea at Otranto
- From your bicycle perch, savor rural pathways to the coastal town of Castro Marina
- Take a refreshing swim, if you like, in the crystalline water in Otranto
- Gather with your fellow travelers for a special masseria dinner featuring Puglia wines
What to Expect
This tour offers easy terrain throughout the trip and is ideal for beginning cyclists.
Average Daily Mileage: 15 – 35 miles
Average Cycling Time: 2 – 4 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Otranto
Mar 55º/46º Apr 60º/50º May 68º/55º Jun 75º/62º Jul 80º/68º Aug 80º/68º Sep 75º/64º Oct 68º/57º Nov 58º/42º
Average Precipitation (in.) – Otranto
Mar 3.0 Apr 2.0 May 1.0 Jun 1.0 Jul 0.3 Aug 0.3 Sep 2.5 Oct 2.7 Nov 2.6
E-Bikes Available on this tour.
Limited quantities — first come, first serve. Learn more.
Bicycle Vacation Only – without Air
- 6 nights in 4- and 5-star hotels and authentic masserie
- 12 meals – 6 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 4 dinners
Air Package Plus
- Roundtrip international airfare
- 6 nights in 4- and 5-star countryside hotels and authentic masserie
PLUS 1 extra night in Alberobello and 1 extra night in Lecce in 4- and 5- star hotels
- 14 meals—8 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 4 dinners
- AND the option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extensions:
Pre-trip: Matera – 2 nights for only $395
Post-trip: Rome – 3 nights for only $595
Both Vacation Options Include
- FREE use of our custom VBT bicycle and helmet — New E-Bikes available
- Service of two local, bilingual VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Daily route directions and maps
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation. See details.
- Special Good Buy Discount
Click here to download our Suggested Reading List.