Puglia: Italy's Undiscovered Coast
Set on the sturdy heel of the Italian boot, coastal Puglia shares the Adriatic and Ionian Seas, with a long history and colorful culture and cuisine that evoke its past Spanish, Turkish, and Norman settlers. But the quiet pace of life and Puglians’ devotion to their farms, groves, and vineyards create an ambiance that is unique in all of Europe. Our stays at genuine masserie—centuries-old fortified villages made into country hotels—place us squarely in the refreshing daily life of the local people. From Puglia’s iconic whitewashed trulli dwellings to its glittering coastline and inviting azure waters, rare discoveries await us.
- Delight in 6 nights in authentic Italian masserie and countryside hotels
- Cycle from Savelletri to Monopoli, through ancient olive groves and village streets
- Sample locally produced olive oils during an included lunch at your masseria
- Discover the remarkable trulli stone huts in the Itria Valley
- Cycle along the lovely coast of Salento, savoring the view of Torre dell’Orso
- Explore beautiful Otranto, on the Italian coast, and enjoy its busy craft studios
- Gather for a picnic lunch by a countryside path on the way to Castro Marina
- If you like, take a dip in the azure waters of Porto Badisco
- Wonder at the sight of ancient tombs and monoliths set along country roads
- Renew friendships during a festive dinner at a country restaurant and wine producer
What to Expect
This tour offers easy terrain throughout the trip and is ideal for beginning cyclists.
Average Daily Mileage: 15 – 35 miles
Average Cycling Time: 2 – 4 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Otranto
Mar 55º/46º Apr 60º/50º May 68º/55º Jun 75º/62º Jul 80º/68º Aug 80º/68º Sep 75º/64º Oct 68º/57º
Average Precipitation (in.) – Otranto
Mar 3 Apr 2 May 1 Jun 1 Jul .3 Aug .3 Sep 2.5 Oct 4
E-Bikes Available on this tour.
Limited quantities — first come, first serve. Learn more.
Bicycle Vacation Only – without Air
- 6 nights in 4- and 5-star hotels and authentic masserie
- 12 meals – 6 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 4 dinners
Air Package Plus
- Roundtrip international airfare
- 8 nights in 4- and 5-star hotels and authentic masserie
- 14 meals – 8 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 4 dinners
- AND the option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extensions: Pre-trip: Matera – 2 nights for only $395 • Post-trip: Rome – 3 nights for only $595
Both Vacation Options Include
- FREE use of our custom VBT bicycle and helmet — New E-Bikes available
- Service of two local, bilingual VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Daily route directions and maps
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- Special Good Buy Discount
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation. See details.
New! Reading List
Click here to download our Suggested Reading List.