Italy: Cycling the Dolomite Valleys
Cycle through some of Europe’s most breathtaking alpine vistas on routes that won’t take your breath away. We’ll show you easy roads skirting the magnificent massif walls of the Dolomites, and shuttle you as high as 4,900 feet so you can rejoice in unforgettable downhill reels with heavenly views. Along the way, we stop to explore fairytale villages and indulge in a riverside barbecue and a lakeside picnic. All against a backdrop of meadows, orchards, forests, canyons and waterfalls. At day’s end, relax at exemplary 4-star hotels, including one that gives you access to a renowned South Tyrol spa.
- Descend a thrilling 1,575 feet on the Dolomites Bike Path
- Pay a rare visit to the scenic home of the Ladin people
- Picnic in an alpine landscape
- Enjoy spectacular mountain views from flat and downhill bike paths
- Pedal through the Pusteria Valley, a paradise for cyclists
- Explore San Candido, an ancient South Tyrol city
- Feast on a tasty barbecue lunch in the Aurina and Tures valleys
- Stroll Brunico’s lively pedestrian zone
- View traditional masi farmhouses from the Plan de Corones plateau
- Discover the atmospheric Duomo and cloister of Bressanone
- View the famous steeple emerging from the waters of Lake Resia
- Admire spellbinding landscapes as you spin through the Venosta Valley
- Indulge in the thermal baths of Terme Merano
What to Expect
This tour offers easy terrain throughout and is ideal for beginning cyclists. Long miles and exciting rides on easy/moderate terrain every day offer fun for more avid bikers. Our VBT support shuttle is always available for those who need assistance with hills.
Average Daily Mileage: 15 – 45 miles
Average Cycling Time: 2 – 5 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Piacenze – 10 miles from Cortina
May 72°/49° Jun 79°/56° Jul 79°/59° Aug 81°/61° Sep 75°/55° Oct 63°/49°
Average Precipitation (in.) – Cortina
May 2.8 Jun 2.5 Jul 1.5 Aug 2.6 Sep 2.2 Oct 2.7
E-Bikes Available on this tour.
Limited quantities — first come, first serve. Learn more.
Bicycle Vacation– without Air
- 6 nights in 4-star hotels
- 12 meals – 6 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 4 dinners
Air Package Plus
- Roundtrip international airfare
- 8 nights in 4-star hotels
- 14 meals – 8 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 4 dinners
- Airport transfers
- AND the option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extensions: Pre-trip: Venice – 2 nights for only $545 • Post-trip: Verona – 2 nights for only $345
Both Vacation Options Include
- FREE use of our custom VBT bicycle and helmet — New E-Bikes available
- Service of two bilingual VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception with local wine and hors d’oeuvres
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- Special Good Buy Discount
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation. See details.
New! Reading List
Click here to download our Suggested Reading List.