Cycling the Canadian Rockies: Jasper, Lake Louise & Banff
Explore by bike through an alpine wonderland of snowcapped peaks, pristine turquoise lakes, coursing rivers, and torrential waterfalls. You’ll traverse two of Canada’s most magnificent national parks, Jasper and Banff, cycling along spruce- and fir-lined roads, including the legendary Icefields Parkway, pausing to stroll or simply gaze upon awe-inspiring vistas. Marvel at the vast Columbia Icefield straddling the Continental Divide. Picnic alongside Athabasca Falls. Admire the mirrorlike waters of lakes Maligne, Louise, and Peyto. This is unspoiled nature at its most inspiring, and cycling through its sweeping beauty sends the spirit soaring. Join us on this new and thrilling itinerary!
- Admire the azure waters of Maligne Lake, the largest natural lake in the Canadian Rockies
- Discover the deep-cut karst gorge of Maligne Canyon, where sinkholes, streams, and caverns create a breathtaking landscape
- Picnic near the 75-foot Athabasca Falls, powered by the most voluminous river in the Rocky Mountains
- Cycle the magnificent Icefields Parkway, one of the world’s most scenic roadways
- Learn about Jasper National Park during a talk from a naturalist
- Savor a hearty traditional BBQ dinner at your lodge in Sunwapta Falls
- Marvel at the enormous Columbia Icefield and the emerald-green waters of Peyto Lake
- Enjoy an invigorating ride along the Bow Valley Parkway, stopping for a short hike into scenic Johnston Canyon
What to Expect
This tour offers options on easier terrain with occasional hills and the opportunity for some longer rides and moderate climbing. The majority of the rides are on quiet paved roads alongside vehicular traffic, some with designated bike routes. Our VBT van support shuttle is always available throughout the trip.
Average Daily Mileage: 15 – 40 miles (23 – 65 km)
Average Cycling Time: 2 – 6 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Banff
Jun 66º/42º Jul 71º/45º Aug 71º/44º Sep 62º/37º
Average Precipitation (in.) – Banff
Jun 2.7 Jul 2.7 Aug 2.4 Sep 1.5
E-Bikes Available on this tour.
Limited quantities — first come, first serve. Learn more.
Bicycle Vacation Only – without Air
- 5 nights in 3-star hotels
- 12 meals – 5 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 3 dinners
International Air package
- Roundtrip international airfare
- 5 nights in 3-star hotels
PLUS: 1 extra night in 3-star hotel in Edmonton
- 13 meals – 6 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 3 dinners
- Transfers once in Canada
- AND the option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extension:
Post-trip: Calgary • 1 night for only $195
Both Vacation Options Include
- FREE use of our custom VBT bicycle and helmet — New E-Bikes available
- Service of two VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- Special Good Buy Discount
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation. See details.
Click here to download our Suggested Reading List.