Cycling Piedmont: Into Italy’s Slow Food Farmland
Wine, cheese and truffles are staples of Piedmont’s reputation—and you’ll sample them all as you spin through this breathtakingly beautiful region of northern Italy. Behold sleepy villages crowned with ancient castles, distinctive cascina farmhouses, sweeping mountain panoramas and lush vineyards and valleys, stopping to stroll Roman ruins, learn how grappa is distilled and more. Experience life on a rural working farm at an authentic agriturismo, where sumptuous homemade meals are served. And enjoy the gentle pace of bicycling, the perfect vehicle for discovering the home of the Slow Food Movement.
- Learn about “white gold” on a truffle-hunting search with an expert and his dog
- Make delicious wood-fired pizzas at your country retreat built in 1600
- Taste the essence of Italy on a Grappa tour with a local family
- Meet engaging locals in the cantina over a glass of local Barolo red wine
- Discover sun-ripened, farm-to-table cuisine that birthed the “Slow Food” movement
- Explore hilltop villages crowned with castles and breathtaking views
- Savor sparkling Spumante wines and local delicacies in the “underground cathedral”
- Challenge yourself in the Piedmont hills and then feel good about indulging
- Relax in fine hotels, inns and country estates that radiate simple elegance and charm
What to Expect
This tour offers a combination of easy terrain mixed with moderate and challenging hills and is ideal for experienced cyclists. Our VBT van support shuttle is always available. However, if you opt to ride with a VBT e-bike (free of charge) the tour is ideal for beginners as well.
Average Daily Mileage: 15 – 45 miles
Average Cycling Time: 3 – 5 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Turin
Apr 62º/42º May 70º/50º Jun 77º/57º Jul 82º/61º Aug 80º/60º Sep 74º/55º Oct 63º/45º
Average Precipitation (in.) – Turin
Apr 4.1 May 4.7 Jun 3.8 Jul 2.6 Aug 3.1 Sep 2.8 Oct 3.5
E-Bikes Available on this tour.
Limited quantities — first come, first serve. Learn more.
Bicycle Vacation Only – without Air
- 6 nights in one agriturismo and 3- and 4-star hotels
- 12 meals – 6 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 4 dinners
Air Package Plus
- Roundtrip international airfare
- 6 nights in one agriturismo and 3-, 4-, and 5-star hotels
PLUS: 1 extra night in Turin and 1 extra night in Rapallo in 4- and 5- star hotels
- 14 meals – 8 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 4 dinners
- ALL overseas transfers
- And the option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extensions: Pre-trip: Turin – 2 nights for only $445
Post-trip: Rapallo – 2 nights for only $395
Both Vacation Options Include
- FREE use of our custom VBT bicycle and helmet — E-Bikes available
- Service of two bilingual VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception with local wine and hors d’oeuvres
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- Special Good Buy Discount
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation. See details.
Click here to download our Suggested Reading List.