Travel & the Coronavirus
As we approach our 50th year of offering active trips, VBT has remained resilient and takes the safety of our guests seriously— it’s a top priority. We continue to monitor trusted authorities for travel and safety updates for making decisions about running our tours.
We know that the discovery in travel is timeless, and that’s why we are all hard at work from our home offices and staying in close contact with our valued local partners in the US and abroad. We are preparing to run trips in 2021, staying inspired, and tuning our bikes for future adventures.
To ensure an effective and timely response to any new developments, we’ve updated a few key policies. We will update this page as we continue to adapt to this fluid situation.
Policy Last updated: 9/29/20. Made changes to “No-Risk Cancellation Policy”
Will VBT Run Tours?
Due to COVID-19 trends currently being reported by our trusted sources, we are canceling all tours in 2020. We are currently contacting all booked guests to provide further details, including refund options. In our decision to provide refunds to all our canceled guests instead of credits like many in our industry, we are experiencing high volume. Our guest services and accounting staff are working with precision and expediency to process refunds, which can be expected 45-60 days from initial cancellation.
We will make evaluations about additional cancellations in the coming days and weeks.
Our goal is to keep guests safe while still enabling as many people as possible to travel. For tours departing in 2021, our plan will be to cancel tours 45 days prior to departure if our trusted sources advise against travel to the region, or if government restrictions make travel difficult or impossible. In that event, guests will receive a refund (minus any applicable third-party fees).
Of course, all guests must make their own evaluations about what feels safe to them. We respect and value that, so we’ve updated our tour cancellation policy to give our travelers more options.
No-Risk Cancellation Policy
- Receive a full refund (including your deposit!) if you cancel any 2021 departure for any reason up to 91 days before your scheduled departure. You would still be responsible for any nonrefundable fees agreed to ahead of time.
- Receive a full refund (including your deposit!) if you cancel any 2021 departure for any reason up to 121 days before your scheduled departure. You would still be responsible for any nonrefundable fees agreed to ahead of time.
Deciding Whether or Not to Cancel
Ultimately, each guest’s decision on whether to travel is their own. While we are happy to share information from health authorities and clarify our policies, no one knows better than you what your personal priorities, health needs, and feelings about risk might be.
Currently, the U.S. government is advising against most international travel. We have canceled all tours leaving in 2020.
Our Trusted Sources
- The World Health Organization (WHO)
- The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- The U.S. State Department
- Our local staff, partners, and regional authorities