Tuscany by the Sea
Spin through the rolling countryside of the Maremma, one of the least-developed areas of central Italy—and a sleepy coastal jewel abounding in bucolic farms, soothing seascapes and ancient walled cities. Along the way, you’ll admire the view from atop medieval ramparts, ferry across the Tyrrhenian Sea and savor the flavors of Tuscany’s farm-to-table cuisine, locally milled olive oil and rustic Tuscan wines. Our choice of four-star accommodations offers ample amenities for relaxing after your day of cycling—as well as active options like horseback riding and swimming.
- Stay at an agriturismo resort featured in Condé Nast Traveler
- Ride the pathways of Maremma Park, a World Wildlife Fund preserve
- Sample renowned Morellino and Tuscan wines
- Savor fresh farm cuisine during stays at fattorie lodgings
- Dip your toes or go swimming at Tyrrhenian Sea beaches
- Learn from a Tuscan chef how to prepare cantucci almond cookies
- Taste freshly pressed olive oil at the Andreini family mill
- Enjoy a memorable picnic at an organic vegetable and cattle farm
- Pedal across Orbetello Lagoon, a scenic treasure
- Pause from invigorating rides to seek out your favorite gelato
- Walk a panoramic trail with a local guide on Giglio Island
What to Expect
This tour offers a combination of easy terrain and moderate hills and is ideal for beginning and experienced cyclists. Our VBT support shuttle is always available for those who need assistance with the hills.
Average Daily Mileage: 15 – 35 miles
Average Cycling Time: 2 – 5 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Rome
March 61º/40º April 67º/45º May 72º/53º Jun 78º/60º Jul 83º/65º Aug 83º/65º Sep 79º/60º Oct 71º/54º
Average Precipitation (in.) – Rome
Mar 2.7 Apr 2.7 May 1.2 Jun 0.6 Jul 0.6 Aug 1.3 Sep 2.7 Oct 3.7
E-Bikes Available on this tour.
Limited quantities — first come, first served. Learn more.
Bicycle Vacation Only – without Air
- 6 nights in 4-star small country resorts
- 14 meals – 6 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 5 dinners
Air Package Plus
- Roundtrip international airfare
- 6 nights in 3- and 4-star hotels and small country resorts
PLUS: 1 extra night in Orvieto and 1 extra night in Rome in 3- and 4- star hotels
- 16 meals – 8 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 5 dinners
- ALL overseas transfers
- AND the option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extensions: Pre-trip: Orvieto – 2 nights for only $295 • Post-trip: Rome – 2 nights for only $345
Both Vacation Options Include
- FREE use of our custom VBT bicycle and helmet — E-Bikes available
- Service of two bilingual VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception with local wine and hors d’oeuvres
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation. See details.