Tuscany by the Sea
Spin through the rolling countryside of the Maremma, one of the least-developed areas of central Italy—and a sleepy coastal jewel abounding in bucolic farms, soothing seascapes and ancient walled cities. Along the way, you’ll admire the view from atop medieval ramparts, ferry across the Tyrrhenian Sea and savor the flavors of Tuscany’s farm-to-table cuisine, locally milled olive oil and rustic Tuscan wines. Our choice of four-star accommodations offers ample amenities for relaxing after your day of cycling—as well as active options like horseback riding and swimming.
- Stay at an agriturismo resort featured in Condé Nast Traveler
- Cycle lush Maremma Park, a World Wildlife Fund preserve
- Savor the famed Morellino and Tuscan wines
- Enjoy farm-to-table cuisine at Tuscan fattorie lodgings
- Swim and sunbathe at beaches along the Tyrrhenian Sea
- Learn to bake Tuscan cantucci almond cookies
- Visit the Andreini family olive oil mill for a tasting
- Picnic at a Maremma organic vegetable and cattle farm
- Cycle a scenic byway across Orbetello Lagoon
- Find your favorite gelati flavors during ice cream breaks
- Ferry to Giglio island and walk a panoramic trail with a local guide
What to Expect
This tour offers a combination of easy terrain and moderate hills and is ideal for beginning and experienced cyclists. Our VBT support shuttle is always available for those who need assistance with the hills.
Average Daily Mileage: 15 – 35 miles
Average Cycling Time: 2 – 5 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Rome
March 61º/40º April 67º/45º May 72º/53º Jun 78º/60º Jul 83º/65º Aug 83º/65º Sep 79º/60º Oct 71º/54º
Average Precipitation (in.) – Rome
Mar 2.7 Apr 2.7 May 1.2 Jun 0.6 Jul 0.6 Aug 1.3 Sep 2.7 Oct 3.7
E-Bikes Available on this tour.
Limited quantities — first come, first serve. Learn more.
Bicycle Vacation Only – without Air
- 6 nights in 4-star country resorts
- 13 meals – 6 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 4 dinners
Air Package Plus
- Roundtrip international airfare
- 6 nights in 3- and 4-star hotels and country resorts
PLUS: 1 extra night in Orvieto and 1 extra night in Rome in 3- and 4- star hotels
- 15 meals – 8 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 4 dinners
- ALL overseas transfers
- AND the option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extensions: Pre-trip: Orvieto – 2 nights for only $295 • Post-trip: Rome – 2 nights for only $345
Both Vacation Options Include
- FREE use of our custom VBT bicycle and helmet — E-Bikes available
- Service of two bilingual VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception with local wine and hors d’oeuvres
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation. See details.