Sicily: Biking the Southern Coastal Villages
Unspoiled, endlessly fascinating, and bathed in Mediterranean sun, southern Sicily is pure pleasure to explore on two wheels. Long a crossroads of culture and trade, countless civilizations left their mark here, from ancient Greece to the Roman Empire. During this eye-opening reel, you’ll traverse tranquil farms and coastal splendor past lush canvases of carob and olive trees and fragrant pine. Explore elegant Baroque cities and charming fishing villages, sharing the fruits of the culture with generous hosts at a chocolate factory, a winery, rustic farms, and the kitchens of your gracious hotels.
- Enjoy a walking tour of Scicli, your home for two nights, then cycle around the lovely Noto Valley
- Visit a family-owned chocolate factory and taste their delicious creations
- Working with your hotel chef, learn how to prepare eggplant parmiginana and cannoli
- Pedal along quiet rustic roads toward the sea, pausing to admire church mosaics
- Discover the ancient fishing village of Marzamemi, perhaps relaxing at a café
- Join your hotel hosts for a fascinating tour of their country estate
- Explore the beautiful Baroque town of Noto, where the architecture—and food—are rewarding
- Cycle from the Testa dell’Acqua area on a panoramic route to a local farm
- Gather with your fellow travelers and your farmer host for a lunch of local specialties
- Pedal to an ancient masseria, where you will stay for two nights amid citrus groves
- Bike along flat country roads to a beach at Ognina, taking a dip, if you like.
- Enjoy a fresh garden lunch and a wine tasting at the Gulino family estate
What To Expect
This tour offers a combination of easy terrain and moderate hills and is ideal for beginning and experienced cyclists. Our VBT support van is always available for those who need assistance with the hills.
Average Daily Mileage: 15 – 35 miles
Average Cycling Time: 2 – 5 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Syracuse
Mar 65º/42º Apr 70º/46º May 78º/52º Jun 86º/59º Sep 87º/62º Oct 78º/56º Nov 69º/48º
Average Precipitation (in.) – Syracuse
Mar 1.5 Apr 1.5 May 1 Jun .5 Sep 1.5 Oct 4 Nov 2
E-Bikes Available on this tour.
Limited quantities — first come, first serve. Learn more.
Bicycle Vacation Only – without Air
- 6 nights in 4-star hotels
- 13 meals – 6 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 4 dinners
Bicycle Vacation Plus International Airfare
- Roundtrip international airfare
- 6 nights in 4-star hotels
PLUS: 1 extra night in Taormina and 1 extra night in Syracuse in 4-star hotels
- 15 meals—8 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 4 dinners
- AND the option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extensions:
Pre-trip: Taormina – 2 nights from only $495-$545*
Post-trip: Syracuse – 2 nights from only $295*
Both Vacations Include
- FREE use of our custom VBT bicycle and helmet — New E-Bikes available
- Service of two bilingual VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception with local wine and hors d’oeuvres
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation. See details.
- Special Good Buy Discount
Click here to download our Suggested Reading List.