Sicily: Biking the Southern Coastal Villages
Sicily is a world apart. Inhabited over millennia by Phoenicians, Greeks, and Romans, this compact yet geographically rich island provides a tantalizing web of traditions, cuisines, aromas, and hospitality. There’s a reason why so many civilizations have converged here, and we’ll experience it directly with farm-prepared meals, personalized tours and tastings, and cycling routes that display the serene beauty of countryside, mountain, seashore, and orchard. Stroll stunning Modica and admire its Baroque churches. Share a lovely outdoor picnic and a dinner at a traditional local restaurant. Explore the charming fishing village of Marzamemi. Revel in the beaches of Ognina. Taken altogether, you’ll find Sicily a rare jewel.
- Spin through a quiet countryside, dotted with stonewalls, farms, and elegant villas
- Admire panoramic views of the Baroque city of Scicli
- View beautiful Roman mosaics dating to the 4th century BC
- Visit a 17th-century tuna fishery that is now a national monument
- Picnic in a pine forest by the sea
- Take a refreshing dip in the resort town of Marina di Ragusa
- Discover ancient chocolate-making techniques at a local factory
- Pick the ingredients for a traditional Sicilian feast in your hotel garden
- Fill your own cannolis during a hands-on cooking demonstration
- Savor a lunch of delicious, homemade empanada at a local farm
- Enjoy a wine tasting and garden-fresh lunch at a local winery
What To Expect
This tour offers a combination of easy terrain and moderate hills and is ideal for beginning and experienced cyclists. Our VBT support van is always available for those who need assistance with the hills.
Average Daily Mileage: 15 – 35 miles
Average Cycling Time: 2 – 5 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Syracuse
Mar 65º/42º Apr 70º/46º May 78º/52º Jun 86º/59º Sep 87º/62º Oct 78º/56º Nov 69º/48º
Average Precipitation (in.) – Syracuse
Mar 1.5 Apr 1.5 May 1 Jun .5 Sep 1.5 Oct 4 Nov 2
E-Bikes Available on this tour.
Limited quantities — first come, first serve. Learn more.
Bicycle Vacation Only – without Air
- 6 nights in 4-star hotels
- 13 meals – 6 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 4 dinners
Air Package Plus
- Roundtrip international airfare
- 8 nights in 4-star hotels
- 15 meals – 8 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 4 dinners
- AND the option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extensions: Pre-trip: Taormina – 2 nights from only $545* • Post-trip: Syracuse – 2 nights from only $345*
*Please note: For those traveling in 2018, depending on your departure date your extension price may vary. Pre-trip from only $495-$545. Post-trip from only $295.
Both Vacations Include
- FREE use of our custom VBT bicycle and helmet — New E-Bikes available
- Service of two bilingual VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception with local wine and hors d’oeuvres
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- Special Good Buy Discount
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation. See details.
Click here to download our Suggested Reading List.