Chile’s Coastal Vistas & Vineyards
Central Chile is a cycler’s paradise. The snow-capped Andes watch over us as we trace breathtaking Pacific byways and picturesque inland routes to traditional fishing villages and wineries. Explore the historic ports of Vina del Mar and Valparaiso. Pedal tree-lined country roads in Santa Rita and the Casablanca Valley, where viniculture thrives. And experience true Chilean hospitality as you set out to sea with local crab fishermen, create your own wine blend with an expert sommelier and savor seaside spas, an historic wine hacienda and comfortable inns.
• Cycle on a morning ride along Chile’s beautiful Ruta del Mar, or Route of the Sea
• Swim in the calm waters of a cove along the seaside La Rambla walkway
• Discover the chic yet quaint enclave of Zapallar, “The Hamptons of Chile”
• Join local fisherman as they collect their crab and shrimp traps
• Delight in the unspoiled penguin sanctuary at Cachagua
• Cycle a lovely coastal route and marvel at the huge sand dunes of Concon
• Discover the “Garden City” of Vina del Mar and the port of Valparaiso
• Savor a wine tasting and a picnic lunch at a family winery in Casablanca
• Enjoy 6 nights in splendid sea-side and sea-view hotels and a Tuscan-style villa
• Pedal through the Santa Rita Vineyards, on a route flanked by ancient trees
• Learn about the fine art of wine blending from a Santa Rita sommelier
• Gather for a festive farewell dinner of traditional Chilean barbecue
What to Expect
This tour offers easy terrain and short mileage rides throughout, and is ideal for beginning cyclists. Longer mileage options with easy-to-moderate terrain offer fun for more avid bikers with rides in the afternoons. Many of the scenic coastal rides are on primary roads with traffic. Our VBT support shuttle is always available for those who need assistance with hills or do not feel comfortable with some of the more heavily trafficked roads. In order to provide a variety of scenery and rides, there is considerable transferring and shuttle time required on this tour. Transfers can range from 1.5 to 2.5 hours and some of the rides require a shuttle time of 30 – 45 minutes to the ride’s starting and ending points.
Average Daily Mileage: 10 – 25 miles
Average Cycling Time: 2 – 5 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Santiago
Jan 85°/54° Feb 84°/53° Mar 80°/49° Apr 72°/45° Oct 71°/45° Nov 77°/48° Dec 82°/51°
Average Precipitation (in.) – Santiago
Jan 0 Feb 0.1 Mar 0.2 Apr 0.5 Oct 0.5 Nov 0.2 Dec 0.2
Please note: For those taking the Post-Trip Extension to the Atacama Desert, unlike more familiar deserts, like the Sahara desert in Africa and the Mojave in California, the Atacama is actually a pretty cold place, with average daily temperatures ranging between 0°C and 25°C.
Bicycle Tour Only – without Air
- 6 nights in fine hotels and inns
- 13 meals – 6 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 3 dinners
Air Package Plus
- Roundtrip international airfare
- 7 nights in fine hotels and inns & a dayroom at the Santiago International Airport
- 14 meals – 7 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 3 dinners
- AND the option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extensions: Pre-Trip Santiago – 2 nights for only $345 • Post-Trip Atacama Desert – 3 nights from only $1,145* and may vary depending on your departure date
Both Vacation Options Include
- FREE use of our custom VBT bicycle and helmet
- Service of two bilingual VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- Special Good Buy Discount
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation. See details.
Click here to download our Suggested Reading List.