Vermont: Champlain Valley & Islands
Experience the welcoming hospitality and unspoiled beauty of Northern New England on this delightful spin through the Champlain valleys, surrounded by the peaks of the Green Mountains and the Adirondacks. We’ll trace our way down from the picturesque island communities into Vermont’s “Queen City”, Burlington, via a one-of-a-kind bike route across Lake Champlain. We’ll also step back into Vermont’s storied history at the Shelburne Museum and Fort Ticonderoga, dine on fresh farm-to-table cuisine and stay in the area’s finest accommodations. This rewarding Vermont bike tour is the best way to discover all that Lake Champlain, and its remarkable islands, has to offer.
- Visit the Shelburne Museum and its amazing collection of more than 150,000 works in 39 exhibition buildings—including a 220-foot steamboat built in 1906.
- Cycle from the Champlain islands to mainland Vermont by way of a beautiful rail trail atop a causeway in the middle of the lake.
- Peruse the storefronts, galleries and street performers that dot downtown Burlington’s pedestrian-only Church Street Marketplace.
- Explore Fort Ticonderoga, an 18th century star fort that played a big role in both the 7 Years’ War and the American Revolution.
- Observe geological history at Isle La Motte’s Fisk Quarry where an outcrop of the ancient Chazy Reef Formation dates back 400 million years.
What to Expect
This tour offers the full range of easy terrain mixed with moderate hills and is ideal for beginning and experienced cyclists. Our VBT van support shuttle is always available for those who need assistance with the hills.
Average Daily Mileage: 13 – 33 miles
Average Cycling Time: 2 – 4 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Burlington Jun 76°/55° Jul 80°/60° Aug 78°/58° Sep 69°/50° Oct 57°/40°
Average Precipitation (in.) – Burlington Jun 3.6 Jul 3.8 Aug 3.6 Sep 3.4 Oct 3
- 5 nights in historic inns
- 12 meals – 5 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 4 dinners
- FREE use of our custom VBT bicycle and helmet
- Service of two VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- Kayaking excursion on Lake Champlain
- Visit to Shelburne Museum or Shelburne Farms (your choice!)
- Visit to Fort Ticonderoga
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation
- Special Good Buy Discount
- AND the option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extension: Pre-trip: Burlington – 1 night for only $145