Poland: Cycling through the Old World
Poland moves at the easy pace of the gentle Vistula River. You will, too, as VBT introduces you to a fascinating nation of softly rolling hills, fertile pastures, and vast sylvan forests. You’ll follow the banks of the Vistula, stopping to take in local color at a farmers’ market, savor a sumptuous lunch in a palace, and delve into an artists’ community. And you’ll cycle the orchard-lined byways of the “Tuscany of Poland,” and sample its fruits in delicious desserts and locally made mead and vodka. Cheers and Na zdrowie!
- Saunter through Krakow’s Old Town on a horse and buggy
- Sleep like royalty in Poland’s finest hotel, the Mamaison Hotel le Regina within in the former Mokrowski Palace and enjoy the excellent spa facilities
- Shop for seasonal picnic supplies at a local market with your Trip Leaders
- Cycle along the Vistula River and enjoy a picnic on the lawns of the 16th-century Janowiec Castle
- Learn about the unique Jewish history, folk and klezmer music in one of Poland’s prettiest towns, Kazimierz Dolny
- Tour the medieval ‘subterranean’ merchant cellars in Sandomierz, former warehouses for Middle Eastern luxuries delivered by Russian and Ukraine traders
- Ride through Poland’s Garden of Eden, a gorgeous fertile plain burgeoning with cherry, plum, apricot, apple, pear and peach orchards.
- Relax during lunch at one of the most beautiful residences in Poland, an 18th century Baroque palace
- Learn how to make a traditional Polish dessert from local fruit with a local family
- Sip Sandomierski mead, a healthy fermented honey drink made here for 1,000 years, referred to as the ‘Nectar of the Gods’
- Ride through one of Poland’s national treasures, “The Impassable Forest” Niepolomice, (home of the European Bison) on paved roads to the royal hunting lodge
- Descend into a an extraordinary world of tunneling and sculpture in the Wieliczka Salt Mine, see the famous Salt Cathedral, and sample Polish Vodka in one of the underground chambers
What to Expect
This tour offers easy terrain throughout the trip and is ideal for beginning cyclists. There are longer options with slight hills for the more experienced cyclists.
Average Daily Mileage: 15 – 35 miles
Average Cycling Time: 2 – 4 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Warsaw
May 65º/47º Jun 70º/52º Jul 73º/55º Aug 73º/54º Sep 64º/47º Oct 54º/40º
Average Precipitation (in.) – Warsaw
May 2 Jun 2.5 Jul 3 Aug 3 Sep 2 Oct 1.5
Bicycle Vacation Only – without Air
- 6 nights in 3- and 4-star hotels and a renovated 17th-century granary
- 11 meals – 6 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 3 dinners
Air Package Plus
- Roundtrip international airfare
- 6 nights in 3-, 4- and 5-star hotels and a renovated 17th- century granary
PLUS: 1 extra night in Warsaw and 1 extra night in Krakow in 4- and 5-star hotel
- 13 meals – 8 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 3 dinners
- ALL overseas transfers
- AND the option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extensions: Pre-trip: Warsaw – 2 nights for only $245 • Post-trip: Krakow – 2 nights for only $245
Both Vacation Options Include
- Free use of our custom VBT bicycle and helmet
- Service of two bilingual VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation. See details.
Click here to download our Suggested Reading List.