Lake Constance: Germany, Austria & Switzerland
Clean air, soaring peaks, and charming Bavarian villages are your constant companions from Füssen to Constance as you cycle the shores of crystalline lakes and visit historic treasures. Step into the fairytale castle of Neuschwanstein, cross the drawbridge to Meersburg Castle with origins to the 7th century and the Merovingian Dynasty, and marvel at the Baroque splendor of St. Gallen’s Abbey. Ride the ancient and historic Emperor’s Road, one of many invigorating routes. And indulge in farm-fresh cuisine from organic farms and renowned beers from local brewers.
- See Forggensee, Alpsee, and Schwansee, the three crystalline lakes around Füssen
- Step into the magical world of King Ludwig II’s enchanting Neuschwanstein Castle
- Cycle to Lindau via the “Bodensee-Königssee Bike Route”
- Breathe fresh alpine air in the Bregenz Forest as you pass through flowering gardens and historic chalet villages
- Sample some of the best cheeses in the world in a 300-year old Austrian tavern
- See Bregenz’s remarkable floating stage
- Enjoy a lunch of local delicacies on a Swiss organic apple farm
- Visit St. Gallen’s baroque cathedral and abbey library, a UNESCO World Heritage site
- Savor freshly picked organics from a local farm
- Raise a stein of German beer or local wine to your three-country discoveries
- Enjoy centrally-located hotels in all towns with shops, parklands and lakeside views.
- Get to know the ancient city of Constance during a guided walk with a local German professor
What To Expect
This tour offers easy terrain on bike paths and bike lanes, and on roads in the neighborhoods and countryside in the Bavarian Alps and surrounding Lake Constance. Longer optional rides and some rolling hills on a couple of days offer fun for more avid bikers. This tour is ideal for both beginning and experienced cyclists. Our VBT support shuttle is always available for those who would like assistance.
Average Daily Mileage: 15 – 35 miles
Average Cycling Time: 2 – 5 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Friedrichshafen
May 65º/46º Jun 70º/52º Jul 74º/55º Aug 72º/54º Sep 65º/49º Oct 54º/42º
Average Precipitation (in.) – Friedrichshafen
May 3.5 Jun 4.5 Jul 5 Aug 4.5 Sep 3.5 Oct 3
E-Bikes Available on this tour.
Limited quantities — first come, first served. Learn more.
Bicycle Vacation Only – Without Air
- 6 nights in 4-star hotels
- 11 meals – 6 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners
Air Package Plus
- Roundtrip international airfare
- 6 nights in 4-star hotels
PLUS 1 extra night in Munich and 1 extra night in Constance
- 14 meals – 8 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners
- All overseas transfers
- AND the option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extensions: Pre-trip: Munich– 2 nights for only $345* • Post-trip: Zurich – 2 nights for only $545*
Both Vacation Options Include
- FREE use of our custom VBT bicycle and helmet
- Service of two bilingual VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception with local wine and hors d’oeuvres
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation. See details.