Florida’s Historic Coast Bike Vacation
Treasure seekers will delight in the historic state parks, colonial neighborhoods and military forts. Pedal along coastal paths, sandy beaches, and lazy rivers at the gentle pace of manatees, stopping along the way to visit America’s oldest lighthouse and civil rights landmarks. To complement this adventure, we kayak in quiet inlets and sail aboard a blockade runner in the Atlantic at sunset.
- Cycle through lovely historic districts and along protected beaches
- Discover a rich architectural heritage, reflecting Spanish, French and English influences
- Tour Fort Clinch State Park with a Union Soldier as your guide
- Paddle your kayak through beautiful Timucuan Ecological and Historical Preserve and look for eagles, otters and dolphins
- Enjoy two picnic lunches of fresh, locally sourced ingredients
- Discover the dramatic legacy of Southern life at the 1780 Kingsley Plantation
- Cycle through Anastasia State Park to visit the lighthouse and the site of America’s oldest permanent navigation aid
- Relax on sweeping verandas under the shade of live oak trees and Spanish moss
- Sail aboard the replica blockade runner Freedom for a delightful sunset cruise and cocktail
- See the lunch counter in the Woolworth’s store in St. Augustine, a civil rights landmark
- Visit the site of Ponce de Leon’s 1513 Florida landing
What to Expect
This tour offers riding almost exclusively on roadways alongside vehicular traffic. In many cases, roadways have marked bike lanes. We have chosen quieter options where possible. Scenic A1A is busier but accustomed to bicycle traffic. There are no hills or dirt roads (except for some short dirt driveways to access some sites). Of course, our VBT van support shuttle is always available for those who need assistance or wish for a shorter ride option.
Average Daily Mileage: 15 – 30 miles
Average Cycling Time: 2 – 4 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – St. Augustine
Jan 68°/47° Feb 68°/47° Mar 74°/53° Apr 79°/58° Oct 81°/64° Nov 74°/54° Dec 69°/48°
Average Precipitation (in.) – St. Augustine
Jan 2.5 Feb 3.1 Mar 3.4 Apr 2.9 Oct 5.5 Nov 2.3 Dec 2.8
E-Bikes Available on this tour.
Limited quantities — first come, first served. Learn more.
- 5 nights in small, boutique bed and breakfasts and hotel
- 11 meals – 5 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 2 dinners
- FREE use of our custom VBT bicycle and helmet
- Service of two VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- A kayak excursion in the Timucuan Preserve
- Sunset sail on the schooner Freedom (or alternate activity on select dates)
- Earn 5% Frequent Traveler Credit on this tour to use on a future VBT vacation. See details.