California Wine Country & the Pacific Coast
Along the Pacific Coast, through golden valleys and in the refreshing shade of the redwood forest, our route unfolds before grapes ripening in the California sun. Your wildest dreams are answered at lodgings overlooking Bodega Bay, to a chic boutique on Healdsburg plaza, and a luxury lodge in the heart of Sonoma wine country. This land was made for you and me.
• Cycle through carefree beach culture along the Pacific Coast
• Taste big California reds at Madonna Estate Winery in Carneros
• Experience West Coast hospitality at leading edge inns with cinematic views
• Learn why Alfred Hitchcock chose Bodega Bay as his film setting for The Birds
• Enjoy plenty of leisure time to pursue more wineries and other activities
• Pedal through a patchwork of pinot noir vineyards in Alexander Valley
• Follow in the footsteps of Jack London through the “Valley of the Moon “
• Enjoy a farm-to-table picnic under a canopy of giant redwoods
• Trace the history of Gold Rush pioneers & red Zins cycling through Dry Creek Valley
• Browse the contemporary arts-and-crafts scene in dog-friendly Healdsburg
What to Expect
This tour offers mostly easy terrain with the occasional rolling hill and the opportunity for longer rides. The VBT van support shuttle is always available.
Average Daily Mileage: 18 – 44 miles
Average Cycling Time: 2 – 4 1/2 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Napa
Apr 70°/42° May 73°/44° Jun 78°/47° Jul 82°/50° Aug 79°/49° Sep 80°/47° Oct 76°/46° Nov 65°/44°
Average Precipitation (in.) – Napa
Apr 1.5 May 1 Jun 0 Jul 0 Aug 0 Sep 0 Oct 1.5 Nov 2.6
E-Bikes Available on this tour.
Limited quantities — first come, first served. Learn more.
- 5 nights in superb Californian inns
- 11 meals – 5 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners
- FREE use of our custom VBT bicycle and helmet — New E-Bikes available
- Service of two VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- Two included wine tastings at local vineyards
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation. See details.
- The option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extension:
Pre-trip: San Francisco – 2 nights from only $545-795*
Fuji Gran Fondo
For more info see our VBT Bikes page.