Gateway to the Dolomites: Biking Bolzano to Lake Garda
One stunning landscape after another unfolds before you as you coast down mountain slopes, traverse emerald valleys, slice through dramatic ravines, and witness the splendor of Lake Garda. Along the way, you’ll enjoy a true taste of the region, including its famed wines, cheeses, farm-fresh produce and a hearty Tyrolean breakfast. You’ll also find a warm welcome in a region renowned for hospitality, when you step off the bike to meet the locals where they live and work.
- Ponder the legend of King Laurin as you trace the Isarco River under the shifting colors of the Rosengarten mountain range.
- See the landscape open before you as you cycle to Sigmundskron Castle, a museum dedicated to mountain people and culture.
- View soaring mountains as you gently climb past the sloping vineyards of the Kalterer Valley.
- Enjoy a wine tasting at a mountain hamlet famous for its Gewürztraminer.
- Choose where to dine in a region whose restaurants have received a record 23 Michelin stars.
- Savor house-made specialties from the gourmet restaurant of your hotel in a ski-resort town beloved by celebrities.
- Savor a tasty snack during a visit with a local cheesemaker.
- See spectacular mountains rising around you as you spin through dramatic canyons and ravines.
- Stroll along a lakeside promenade.
- Cycle a Mediterranean-like paradise around Lake Garda.
- Delight in a taste of vino santo, fresh bread, plump tomatoes and other specialties at a family-run farm.
- Prepare for the day’s cycling with a delicious, hearty breakfast.
What to Expect
This tour offers a combination of easy terrain and very moderate hills and is ideal for beginning and experienced cyclists. Our VBT support van is always available for those who need assistance with the hills.
Average Daily Mileage: 15 – 33 miles
Average Cycling Time: 2 – 5 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Bolzano
May 74º/49º Jun 80º/55º Jul 84.6º/58.6º Aug 82.9º/58.1º Sep 77º/52º Oct 65.7º/41.9º
Average Precipitation (in.) – Bolzano
May 3.2 Jun 3.2 Jul 3.6 Aug 3.6 Sep 2.6 Oct 2.2
E-Bikes Available on this tour.
Limited quantities — first come, first served. Learn more.
Bicycle Vacation Only – without Air
- 6 nights in 4- and 5-star hotels
- 12 meals – 6 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 4 dinners
Air Package Plus
- Roundtrip international airfare
- 8 nights in 4- and 5-star hotels
- 14 meals – 8 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 4 dinners
- Airport transfers
- And the option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extensions:
Pre-trip: Innsbruck, Austria – 2 nights for only $395
Post-trip: Milan – 2 nights from only $345-$695*
Both Vacation Options Include
- FREE use of our custom VBT bicycle and helmet — E-Bikes available
- Service of two bilingual VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception with local wine and hors d’oeuvres
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- Earn 5% Frequent Traveler Credit on this tour to use on a future VBT vacation. See details.