Gateway to the Dolomites: Biking Bolzano to Lake Garda
Northern Italy’s spellbinding landscape of soaring monoliths and glittering lakes begs to be explored on two wheels. Scenic bike paths here skirt magnificent alpine peaks, passing apple orchards and vineyards into emerald valleys and charming villages. And breathtaking routes deliver you to Italy’s largest mountain-ringed lake. On VBT’s newest Italy vacation, the Dolomites and Lake Garda are refreshingly bike-friendly. Our relaxed pace lets you slow down to meet local farmers and sample South Tyrol’s delicious wines and apple strudel. Along the way, historic inns help you experience the region’s famed tradition of hospitality.
- Cycle in the Natural Park of the Adamello and Brenta Dolomites on scenic paved bike paths and roads
- Savor local vino santo wine and Trentino regional specialties
- Taste local cheeses from cows bred in high alpine pastures
- Stroll scenic Riva del Garda, nestled in steep mountains
- Shop in Bolzano and admire its romanesque and gothic buildings
- Visit the Museum of Archaeology, home to Oetzi the Iceman, the famous glacier mummy
- Ride the Wine Road along the Isarco River, passing quaint South Tyrol villages
- Cruise scenic Lake Garda aboard a ferry
- Indulge in creamy gelato during an ice cream break in Dro
- Stay in picturesque Madonna di Campiglio, the Pearl of the Dolomites
What to Expect
This tour offers a combination of easy terrain and very moderate hills and is ideal for beginning and experienced cyclists. Our VBT support van is always available for those who need assistance with the hills.
Average Daily Mileage: 15 – 33 miles
Average Cycling Time: 2 – 5 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Bolzano
May 74º/49º Jun 80º/55º Jul 84.6º/58.6º Aug 82.9º/58.1º Sep 77º/24º Oct 65.7º/41.9º
Average Precipitation (in.) – Bolzano
May 3.2 Jun 3.2 Jul 3.6 Aug 3.6 Sep 2.6 Oct 2.2
E-Bikes Available on this tour.
Limited quantities — first come, first serve. Learn more.
Bicycle Vacation Only – without Air
- 6 nights in 4- and 5-star hotels
- 12 meals – 6 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 4 dinners
Air Package Plus
- Roundtrip international airfare
- 8 nights in 4- and 5-star hotels
- 14 meals – 8 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 4 dinners
- Airport transfers
- And the option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extensions:
Pre-trip: Innsbruck, Austria – 2 nights for only $345
Post-trip: Milan – 2 nights from only $395-$645*
Both Vacation Options Include
- FREE use of our custom VBT bicycle and helmet — E-Bikes available
- Service of two bilingual VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception with local wine and hors d’oeuvres
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation. See details.
- Special Good Buy Discount
Click here to download our Suggested Reading List.