Yellowstone & Grand Teton: Walking America’s First National Park
A massive canyon carved by an ancient volcano … plumes of water leaping into the sky … herds of buffalo and elk running free … these are just a few of the reasons why Grand Teton and Yellowstone are among America’s most beloved national parks. As you walk along a canyon rim, float across lakes and rivers, and pass through a geothermal field, you’ll breathe in the majesty of nature’s most awe-inspiring masterpieces and bear witness to the lingering effects of long-ago forest fires. Lodgings within park grounds amplify the experience.
- Walk along the shore of Jenny Lake, a glacial lake at the base of the Cathedral Group, the tallest mountains of the Teton range, in the heart of the Grand Tetons and be prepared to spot buffalo and elk
- Bring your binoculars on a Snake River float ride with stunning views of the Teton Range as well as bald eagles, osprey and kingfishers
- Walk along the rim of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, and see two of the largest waterfalls in the park
- Explore the world’s first national park and one of the world’s largest volcanic calderas with 10,000 hydrothermal features, 500 active geysers and 290 waterfalls
- Discover wildlife around every corner, Yellowstone is home to the largest mammal population in the lower 48 states
- Hike Storm Point Trail through an old growth pine forest to Lake Yellowstone
- Visit Mother Nature’s best show on earth: the geyser at Old Faithful still blasts off every 90 minutes
What To Expect
This tour features fairly easy terrain, with some gradual climbs and spectacular views. You’ll walk on a variety of surfaces, including dirt trails and wooden boardwalks. On rainy days the footpaths can be muddy and slippery. Both morning and afternoon walking options are available on most days. This tour is ideal for both enthusiastic beginners and experienced walkers. Our VBT support vehicle is available at specific meeting points for those who need assistance. Several of the walks require a transfer from your hotel to the start of the walk.
Average Daily Mileage: 2 – 6 miles
Average Walking Time: 2 – 4 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Yellowstone
Jun 62°/35° Jul 72°/42° Aug 71°/37° Sep 61°/30°
Average Precipitation (in.) – Yellowstone
Jun 2.2 Jul 1.6 Aug 1.5 Sep 1.5
• 2 nights in Jackson and 3 nights at historic in-park lodges
• 11 meals – 5 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners
• FREE use of VBT walking poles
• Service of two VBT Trip Leaders
• On-tour vehicle support
• Daily route directions and maps
• Welcome reception
• Sightseeing and cultural activities
• Admission to Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks
• 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation. See details.
• Special Good Buy Discount
Click here to download our Suggested Reading List.