Vermont: Champlain Valley & Islands
Experience the welcoming hospitality and unspoiled beauty of Northern New England on this delightful spin through the Champlain valleys, surrounded by the peaks of the Green Mountains and the Adirondacks. We’ll trace our way down from the picturesque island communities into Vermont’s “Queen City”, Burlington, via a one-of-a-kind bike route across Lake Champlain. We’ll also step back into Vermont’s storied history at the Shelburne Museum and Fort Ticonderoga, dine on fresh farm-to-table cuisine and stay in the area’s finest accommodations. This rewarding Vermont bike tour is the best way to discover all that Lake Champlain, and its remarkable islands, has to offer.
• Cycle to Isle La Motte and delight in its quiet back roads
• Discover historic St. Anne’s Shrine and Fisk Quarry
• Enjoy 5 nights in cozy, historic Vermont inns
• Join in for a delightful picnic lunch on a lake Champlain island
• Pedal the gentle terrain along the lovely shore of South Hero Island
• Delight in a picnic lunch and wine tasting at a local vineyard
• Ferry from the islands to continue cycling the Burlington Bike Path
• Explore lively Burlington’s market scene with free time
• Visit the extraordinary Shelbourne Museum, with 150,000 works
• Have time for additional riding along Lake Champlain
• Cross the lake to New York state on a historic cable ferry
• Enjoy an included visit to Fort Ticonderoga, a restored fortress
• Cycle the roads of Middlebury, with its farm and stone fences.
What to Expect
This tour offers the full range of easy terrain mixed with moderate hills and is ideal for beginning and experienced cyclists. Our VBT van support shuttle is always available for those who need assistance with the hills.
Average Daily Mileage: 13 – 33 miles
Average Cycling Time: 2 – 4 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Burlington
Jun 76°/55° Jul 80°/60° Aug 78°/58° Sep 69°/50° Oct 57°/40°
Average Precipitation (in.) – Burlington
Jun 3.6 Jul 3.8 Aug 3.6 Sep 3.4 Oct 3
- 5 nights in historic inns
- 12 meals – 5 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 4 dinners
- FREE use of our custom VBT bicycle and helmet
- Service of two VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- Kayaking excursion on Lake Champlain
- Visit to Shelburne Museum or Shelburne Farms (your choice!)
- Visit to Fort Ticonderoga
- Special Good Buy Discount
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation. See details.
- AND the option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extension: Pre-trip: Burlington – 1 night for only $145
New! Reading List
Click here to download our Suggested Reading List.