Spain: A Walking Tour of Basque Country
Part Spanish. Part French. Uniquely Basque. Spanning the border between two nations, framed by the soaring Pyrenees and the Bay of Biscay, the autonomous region of Spain known simply as Basque Country offers spellbinding landscapes, superlative cuisine and warm, welcoming—and intensely proud—people. We’ll delve deeply into Basque culture during scenic walks through rural villages and vibrant cities … spend time with local residents, from pelota-playing villagers to the epicurean members of a txoko (private gastronomic club), and venture into France for a comprehensive view of local life. Experience the singular beauty of Basque Country with VBT today!
• Discover the world-class gastronomy of the Basques.
• Explore Bilbao’s world-famous Guggenheim Museum.
• Stroll San Sebastián’s stunning seaside promenade.
• Hit charming Basque bars for pintxos, wine and good times.
• Learn how to play pelota with the residents of Bidania.
• Stay at a restored 17th-century jauregia (palace).
• Follow in the footsteps of pilgrims on the Way of St. James.
• Visit Hendaye, France for another side of Basque life.
• Dine with the members of a txoko private gastronomic club.
• Enjoy a traditional Basque cooking demonstration.
What To Expect
This tour features a combination of easy terrain and paved roads mixed with moderate hills. We walk primarily in the open countryside and small cities and on a variety of surfaces, including uneven footpaths over grass and soil, and cobbled streets. We plan longer, optional walks for those who wish to spend more time on their own exploring the small towns and surrounding areas. We also provide short and easy options for those who prefer to spend more time relaxing in Basque Country. Our VBT on-tour support vehicle is available at specific meeting points for those who need assistance. This tour is ideal for both enthusiastic beginners and experienced walkers. Several of the walks require a transfer from our hotel to the start of the walk. Our Trip Leaders often use this time in the van for our morning route review, so we can enjoy a more leisurely morning at breakfast.
Average Daily Mileage: 2 – 5 miles (3.2-8 km)
Average Walking Time: 2 – 5 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Bilbao
May 68º/50º Jun 73º/55º Jul 77º/59º Aug 78º/59º Sep 76º/56º Oct 69º/51º
Average Precipitation (in.) – Bilbao
May 3 Jun 2 Jul 1 Aug 2 Sep 2 Oct 3
Walking Vacation Only – Without Air
- 6 nights in historic 3- and 4-star hotels and 1 rural Basque Jauregia (palace)
- 13 meals – 6 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 4 dinners
Air Package Plus
- 8 nights in historic 3- and 4-star hotels, 1 rural Basque Jauregia (palace) and a 5-star hotel
- 15 meals – 8 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 4 dinners
- Roundtrip international airfare
- AND the option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extensions: Pre-trip: Madrid – 2 nights for only $295* • Post-trip: Bilbao – 2 nights for only $245