Santa Fe & Taos: Walking New Mexico
Trace the steps of Georgia O’Keeffe as we traverse trails through her beloved Ghost Ranch. Witness the vast Rio Grande Gorge and marvel at the famous Ancestral Pueblo rock dwellings at Bandelier. Gaze upon yawning canyons and towering rock formations that reveal millennia. Along the way, feed your spirit and your curiosity during a tour of ancient Taos Pueblo with one its residents, a cooking demonstration at the Santa Fe School of Cooking and at welcoming lodges just steps from renowned art galleries.
• Enjoy a day at Ghost Ranch, home of artist Georgia O’Keefe
• Follow Chimney Rock Trail to the tip of beautiful mesa
• Explore the gentle trail through colorful Box Canyon
• Discover the dramatic Pueblo dwellings at Bandelier National Monument
• Hike to the floor of Fijoles Canyon and visit a cliff dwelling
• Share a delightful picnic lunch in the midst of ponderosa pines
• Have free time to make your own discoveries in exciting Santa Fe
• Learn about regional culinary techniques with a local chef
• Admire the starkly beautiful Sangre de Christo Mountains
• Visit Santurio de Chimayo chapel, a pilgrims’ destination
• Admire the beauty of the Rio Grande del Norte National Monument.
• Delight in 5 nights in charming inns and lodges
• Travel back in time during a visit to Taos Pueblo
• Walk the extraordinary Wild River Recreation Area
What to Expect
This tour offers a range of terrain and is ideal for energetic beginners and experienced walkers. Walks are on well-traveled footpaths and trails. We walk at an average altitude of 7,000 feet above sea level, which may cause us to keep a slower uphill pace. Every day, rewarding walk options with nominal elevation gains are available. Our VBT van support is available at designated points along our routes.
Average Daily Mileage: 3 – 6 miles
Average Walking Time: 2 – 4 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Santa Fe
May 74°/41° Sept 80°/47° Oct 69°/32°
Average Precipitation (in.) – Santa Fe
May 1.0 Sept 1.6 Oct 1.4
• 5 nights in centrally located inns and lodges
• 12 meals – 5 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 3 dinners
• FREE use of our VBT walking poles
• Service of two VBT Trip Leaders
• VBT van support
• Daily route directions and maps
• Welcome reception
• Sightseeing and cultural activities
• Entry into two National Monuments and two National Recreational Areas
• Guided walks in Santa Fe and Taos Pueblo
• A cooking demonstration and meal at the Santa Fe School of Cooking
• Good Buy Discount
• 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation. See details.
New! Reading List
Click here to download our Suggested Reading List.