Provence: The Alpilles
A vital part of France yet infused with a Mediterranean spirit, Provence invites you to slow down, breathe and celebrate beauty and the joie de vivre. Rolling through fertile farmlands, vineyards and quaint villages, in the dramatic foothills of the Alpilles, you’ll experience it all up close. Engage all your senses as you delight in the shifting scenery, stroll through historic landmarks and sample the local food and wine. This magical region has inspired the imaginations of Van Gogh, Cézanne, Hemingway and many others. Come, let it cast its spell over you.
- Admire stunning views from the hilltop town of Les Baux of Arles, the Camargue and the Alpilles
- Visit scenes that inspired Van Gogh with a local historian
- Discover the culinary secrets of a pastry chef in her home
- Explore 11th-century Abbaye St. Michel de Frigolet
- Marvel at the soaring Alpilles as you roll through a pristine countryside
- Stroll the ancient Pont du Gard, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Visit a château farm for a picnic lunch and a wine tasting
- Tour Avignon, the “City of the Popes,” with a local guide
What to Expect
This tour offers a combination of easy terrain mixed with moderate hills. Our VBT support shuttle is always available for those who need assistance with the hills. Suitable for novice cyclists and ideal for experienced cyclists.
Average Daily Mileage: 11 – 41 Miles
Average Cycling Time: 2 – 5 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Avignon
Apr 67º/45º May 74º/51º Jun 82º/58º Jul 87º/61º Aug 87º/60º Sep 78º/57º Oct 68º/48º
Average Precipitation (in.) – Avignon
Apr 2 May 2.5 Jun 2 Jul 1.5 Aug 2 Sep 2.5 Oct 3.5
E-Bikes Available on this tour.
Limited quantities — first come, first serve. Learn more.
Bicycle Vacation Only – without Air
- 6 nights in 4-star French hotels
- 11 meals – 6 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 4 dinners
International Air Package
- Roundtrip international airfare
- 6 nights in 3- and 4-star French hotels
PLUS: 1 extra night in Aix-en-Provence and 1 extra night in Paris in 3- and 4-star hotels
- 13 meals – 8 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 4 dinners
- ALL overseas transfers
- AND the option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extensions:
Pre-trip: Aix-en-Provence – 2 nights for only $295
Post-trip: Paris – 2 nights for only $445
Both Vacation Options Include
- FREE use of our custom VBT bicycle and helmet — New E-Bikes available
- Service of two bilingual VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception with local wine
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation. See details.
- Special Good Buy Discount
Click here to download our Suggested Reading List.