Provence: The Alpilles
The Provençal light was brilliantly captured by Impressionist artists. You’ll capture it, too – on two wheels with VBT’s popular vacation. Here, the inspiration of artists is everywhere. Lush vineyards and limestone cliffs give rise to the soaring Alpilles. Bucolic roads lead to charming villages alive with colorful marchés. And breathtaking remnants from Rome’s heady days dot the dreamy landscape. We pause from invigorating rides to meet historians eager to share the secrets of St. Remy and Avignon, and to delight in French hospitality when a local pastry chef prepares us lunch in her home. The light here is brilliant, indeed.
- Admire stunning views of Arles, the Camargue, and the Alpilles from Les Baux
- Visit scenes that inspired Van Gogh with a local historian
- Discover the culinary secrets of a well-known pastry chef
- Explore Abbaye St. Michel de Frigolet, dating to at least 1133
- Witness the soaring Alpilles as you roll through a pristine countryside
- Stroll the ancient Pont du Gard, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Visit a château farm for lunch and a wine tasting
- Tour Avignon, the “City of the Popes,” with a local guide
What to Expect
This tour offers a combination of easy terrain mixed with moderate hills. Our VBT van support shuttle is always available for those who need assistance with the hills. Suitable for novice cyclists and ideal for experienced cyclists.
Average Daily Mileage: 18 – 45 Miles
Average Cycling Time: 2 – 5 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Avignon
Apr 67º/45º May 74º/51º Jun 82º/58º Jul 87º/61º Aug 87º/60º Sep 78º/57º Oct 68º/48º
Average Precipitation (in.) – Avignon
Apr 2 May 2.5 Jun 2 Jul 1.5 Aug 2 Sep 2.5 Oct 3.5
E-Bikes Available on this tour.
Limited quantities — first come, first serve. Learn more.
Bicycle Vacation Only – without Air
- 6 nights in 4-star French hotels
- 10 meals – 6 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 3 dinners
Air Package Plus
- Roundtrip international airfare
- 8 nights in 3- and 4-star French hotels
- 12 meals – 8 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 3 dinners
- AND the option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extensions: Pre-trip: Aix-en-Provence – 2 nights for only $295 • Post-trip: Paris – 2 nights for only $445
Both Vacation Options Include
- FREE use of our custom VBT bicycle and helmet — New E-Bikes available
- Service of two bilingual VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception with local wine
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation
- Special Good Buy Discount
New! Reading List
Click here to download our Suggested Reading List.