Pathways of Portugal: Walking the Douro Valley
Follow in the footsteps of Portugal’s winemakers on this VBT walking vacation into the heart of the Douro River Valley. Endless charms, historic viniculture and breathtaking beauty blanket these steep river banks. You’ll walk among terraced vineyards and into medieval towns, explore rustic villages nestled in the hills of Portugal’s only national park, and stroll a stretch of the revered Way of St. James. Sweet ports, and delicious traditional cuisine nourish your body and spirit. Elegant quintas, or wine estates, and manor houses welcome you each evening. And the splendor of Portugal sends your spirit soaring.
- Walk the “Way of St. James” pilgrim’s path
- Learn culinary secrets during a cooking demonstration
- Witness winemaking at a wine estate
- Trace the spectacular Douro River by train
- Unravel a rich history that spans the ages
- Relax at unique and elegant manor houses
- Savor Portugal’s traditional cuisine
What To Expect
This tour features a combination of paved roads and easy terrain, mixed with moderate hills, uneven footpaths and vineyards. On rainy days the footpaths and vineyards can be wet and muddy. Our VBT minibus is available at specific meeting points for those who need assistance. Both morning and afternoon walking options are available most days. Ideal for enthusiastic beginners and experienced walkers.
Average Daily Mileage: 4 – 8 miles
Average Walking Time: 2 – 4 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Porto
Mar 62º/45º Apr 64º/48º May 67º/52º Jun 73º/57º Jul 77º/60º Aug 77º/59º Sep 75º/57º Oct 69º/53º
Average Precipitation (in.) – Porto
Mar 3.5 Apr 4.6 May 3.8 Jun 1.8 Jul .7 Aug 1.1 Sep 2.8 Oct 5.4
Walking Vacation Only – Without Air
• 6 nights in a 17th-century family manor home, 18th-century vineyard farmhouse and medieval stone houses
• 12 meals – 6 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 4 dinners
Air Package Plus
• Roundtrip airfare
• 8 nights in a 17th-century manor home, 18th-century vineyard farmhouse, medieval stone houses, and a 4-star city hotel
• 14 meals — 8 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 4 dinners
• AND the option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extensions: Pre-trip: Porto • 2 nights for $295 Post-trip: Lisbon • 2 nights from only $195*
*Please note: For those traveling in 2018, Post-trip extension: Lisbon — 2 nights from only $195-395. Depending on your departure date your extension price may vary.
Both Vacation Options Include
• FREE use of our custom VBT walking poles
• Service of two bilingual VBT Trip Leaders
• FULL VEHICLE SUPPORT
• Daily route directions and maps
• Welcome reception and dinner hosted by Count Calheiros
• Sightseeing and cultural activities
• Special Good Buy Discount
• 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation. See details.
Click here to download our Suggested Reading List.