Peru: Machu Picchu & The Sacred Valley
Tread in the footsteps of the Incas throughout this awe-inspiring Peruvian journey. We'll hike the storied Sacred Valley and its ancient site—Ollantaytambo, Sacsayhuaman and Tambomachay—meeting the Cuyuni people along the way and learning about traditional life in the Andes. We'll ascend to the valley's crowning glory, Machu Picchu, either aboard a panoramic Vistadome train or by hiking the legendary Inca Trail. We'll end our unforgettable trip in lively Cusco where modern Peru collides with its pre-Columbian and Colonial pasts.
- Trace footsteps of the Inca in the astounding Sacred Valley
- Approach Machu from above, and peer down at the ancient wonder from the “Sun Gate”
- Enjoy the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to hike a stretch of the Inca Trail
- Shop at a local market and get to know the locals with the help of your Trip Leaders
- Browse local crafts and art work at the artists' galleries of Cusco
- Spend a day walking the historic streets of Cusco, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Take part in a tasty tradition by enjoying a glass of the native corn beer, at a local chicheria
- Explore Machu Picchu at dusk and day break to avoid the crowds
- Unwind at luxurious and environmentally-conscious accommodations
What to Expect
This tour features a combination of cobbled streets, uneven footpaths and rocky, irregular terrain over hills and valleys. An elective 8 mile Inca Trail hike includes a 2,000-foot elevation gain. Altitudes of between 6,500 and 13,500 feet may require a slower pace. Our VBT minibus support is available at specified meeting points for those who need assistance except on the Inca Trail, where there is no road access and you will be required to hike the entire 8 miles. Both morning and afternoon walking options are available most days. Appropriate for experienced walkers. Several of the walks require a transfer from our hotel to the start of the walk. Our tour leaders often use this time in the van for our morning route review, so we can enjoy a more leisurely morning at breakfast.
BOOK EARLY FOR THE INCA TRAIL: If you want to hike the Inca Trail, you should make your reservations as early as possible! The Peruvian government limits the number of hikers on the trail at any given time. Permits are issued on a first-come, first-served basis. Have your passport details in hand when booking your reservation with VBT. Permits are only issued for individuals, and only for a specific passport number. VBT cannot guarantee your permit. If a permit is unavailable, you will travel by train to Aguas Calientes, by bus to the entrance, and then walk into Machu Picchu. This will not impact your visit to Machu Picchu, only the hike into the site. Should you elect at anytime to take the train option instead of the hike, the permit is non-refundable.
Average Daily Mileage: 4 - 8 miles
Average Cycling Time: 2 - 6 hours
Average Daily Temperature (°F) – Cusco Mar 66° Apr 67° May 67° Jun 66° Jul 66° Aug 67° Sep 68° Oct 69° Nov 69° Dec 69°
Average Rainfall (in.) – Cusco Mar 4.3 Apr 1.8 May .3 Jun .1 Jul .2 Aug .3 Sep .9 Oct 1.9 Nov 3.1 Dec 4.7
Walking Tour Only – without Air
- 7 nights in fine hotels and inns
- 16 meals – 7 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 5 dinners
Air Package Plus
- Roundtrip international airfare
- 8 nights in fine hotels and inns
- 16 meals – 8 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 4 dinners
- And the option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extension: Pre-trip: Lima – 2 nights for only $445* • Post-trip: Peruvian Amazon – 2 nights for only $595**
*Please note for those traveling in 2016: Pre-trip: Lima is $495, Single supplement is $195.
**Please note for those traveling in 2016: Post-trip: Peruvian Amazon is $645, Single supplement is $195.
Both Vacations Include
- Service of two bilingual VBT Trip Leaders
- On-tour vehicle support
- FREE use of VBT custom walking poles
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation
- Special Good Buy Discount
- Permits for Inca Trail and Machu Picchu (subject to availability)