New Zealand: The South Island
From the snow-capped majesty of the Southern Alps to the rainforest lushness of Lake Moeraki, no place on Earth holds the extraordinary variety of landscape, seascape, wildlife, and beauty as New Zealand’s South Island. On this spectacular VBT adventure, we’ll cycle amid mountains and glaciers, waterfalls and lagoons, while keeping a lookout for albatross and alpine parrots. A picnic lunch in Pukekura, an overnight stay with a New Zealand family, and a mountain train ride—along with opportunities to kayak, hike, and savor relaxation—make this bicycling trip an unforgettable masterpiece for body and soul.
- Marvel at the gorges of the Southern Alps on the TranzAlpine Express train.
- Gaze upward to a heaven of stars to find the distinctive, brilliant Southern Cross.
- Cycle amid Westland National Park’s mountains, glaciers, and waterfalls.
- Discover the wildlife haven of Okarito Lagoon, a birder’s delight.
- Pedal through the shimmering New Zealand rainforest along the Tasman Sea.
- Stay in lovely lodges and hotels that highlight the natural beauty of the wilderness.
- Descend into the Makarora River Valley and cycle by the Haast River.
- Share a home-cooked meal and Kiwi hospitality with a New Zealand family.
What to Expect
This tour offers a combination of easy terrain mixed with moderate hills and is ideal for beginning and experienced cyclists. The VBT van support shuttle is always available for those who need assistance.
Average Daily Mileage: 13 - 56 miles
Average Cycling Time: 2 - 5 hours
Average Daily Temperature (°F) – Hokitka
Jan 67° Feb 68° Mar 65° Apr 62° Nov 61° Dec 64°
Average Rainfall (in.) – Hokitka
Jan 9.6 Feb 7.8 Mar 9.1 Apr 9.2 Nov 10.4 Dec 10
Bicycle Tour Only – without Air
- 8 nights in comfortable lodgings
- 17 meals – 8 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 6 dinners
Air Package Plus
- Roundtrip international airfare
- 9 nights in comfortable lodgings
- 18 meals – 9 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 6 dinners
- AND the option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extensions: Pre-trip: Sydney – 3 nights for only $1145* • Post-trip: Queenstown – 2 nights for only $395