New Zealand: The South Island Bike Vacation
From the snow-capped majesty of the Southern Alps to the rainforest lushness of Lake Moeraki, no place on Earth holds the extraordinary variety of landscape, seascape, wildlife, and beauty as what you’ll experience on our New Zealand Bike Tour. On this spectacular VBT adventure, we’ll cycle amid mountains and glaciers, waterfalls and lagoons, while keeping a lookout for albatross and alpine parrots. A picnic lunch in Pukekura, an overnight stay with a New Zealand family, and a mountain train ride—along with opportunities to kayak, hike, and savor relaxation—make this bicycling trip an unforgettable masterpiece for body and soul.
• Traverse the gorges of the Waimakariri River on the TranzAlpine Express train
• Gaze at the splendor of the snow-capped Southern Alps from a 2,300-foot perch
• Marvel at the brilliant Southern Cross, a constellation only seen in the Southern Hemisphere
• Cycle to Westland National Park, a rich expanse of stunning glaciers and waterfalls
• Ride through the forest by the Tasman Sea and break for a picnic lunch
• Enjoy free time near Franz Josef Glacier and Lake Moeraki to explore or relax
• Cycle to Okarito Lagoon, a renowned haven for wildlife
• At Fox Glacier, cycle through native rainforest and enjoy lunch at a salmon farm
• Refresh with a picnic lunch in the garden of an Otago winery
• Descend into the Makarora River Valley, and ride through Mt. Aspiring National Park
• Share the night at a local home to enjoy a home-cooked meal and Kiwi hospitality
What to Expect
This tour offers a combination of easy terrain mixed with moderate hills and is ideal for enthusiastic beginners and experienced cyclists. Riding is on paved roads, shared with vehicular traffic. The VBT van support shuttle is always available for a head start, catch-up or shorter option.
Average Daily Mileage: 13 – 56 miles
Average Cycling Time: 2 – 5 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Hokitka
Jan 67º/53º Feb 68º/54º Mar 66º/50º Apr 62º/47º Nov 62º/48º Dec 64º/51º
Average Precipitation (in.) – Hokitka
Jan 9.6 Feb 7.8 Mar 9.1 Apr 9.2 Nov 10.4 Dec 10
Bicycle Tour Only – without Air
- 8 nights in comfortable lodgings
- 17 meals – 8 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 6 dinners
Air Package Plus
- Roundtrip international airfare
- 9 nights in comfortable lodgings
- 18 meals – 9 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 6 dinners
- AND the option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extensions: Pre-trip: Auckland* – 3 nights for only $595 • Post-trip: Queenstown – 2 nights for only $245
*Please Note: For January through March departures the Pre-trip Extension is 3 nights in Sydney, Australia for $1,045.
Both Vacation Options Include
- FREE use of our custom VBT bicycle and helmet
- Service of two or three VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- Special Good Buy Discount
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation. See details.
New! Reading List
Click here to download our Suggested Reading List.