Maine Coast: Purely Acadia
Maine’s craggy shoreline, soaring mountains and spruce-clad islands unfold before you as you cycle the famous car-free carriage roads of Acadia National Park, birds soaring overhead. Delve into the life of a lobster fisherman, and discover Maine’s more sophisticated side with time at leisure in Bar Harbor. You’ll also experience coastal Maine by sea, as you travel by lobster boat and perhaps paddle a sea kayak or enjoy a sunset cruise. A picnic lunch, delicious dinners and a classic lobster bake round out your immersion into the essence of Maine.
- Ride along Rockefeller’s historic and car-free carriage roads through Acadia National Park
- Browse Bar Harbor’s fun shops, art galleries and seafood bars
- Take a lobster boat to Little Cranberry Island and discover real ‘Down East’ culture
- Get on the water with your choice of sea kayaking in Frenchman Bay, whale-watching, or a sunset cruise on the Margaret Todd
- Enjoy a picnic lunch in a pine-scented forest filled with chickadees and birdsong.
- Walk through the Azalea and Thuya Gardens, two world-class parklands in Northeast Harbor
- Practice your lobster-cracking skills at a traditional bake at the Bar Harbor Inn
- Ride through a refreshing and unspoiled landscape of rugged coastline, forested coves and idyllic fishing harbors
- Savor some of New England’s fresh Atlantic seafood: mussels, clams and oysters Rockefeller
- Explore a state famous for its mouth-watering scones, pies, cobblers and martinis infused with forest berries
- Photograph stoic lighthouses perched atop craggy granite bluffs
What to Expect
This tour offers a full range of easy terrain mixed with moderate hills and is ideal for both beginner and experienced cyclists. Our VBT van support shuttle is available for those who need assistance with hills.
Average Daily Mileage: 13 – 26 miles
Average Cycling Time: 2 – 4 1/2 hours
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Bar Harbor
May 65°/45° Jun 74°/54° Jul 79°/59° Aug 78°/59° Sep 70°/52° Oct 59°/42°
Average Precipitation (in.) – Bar Harbor
May 4.6 Jun 4.1 Jul 3.5 Aug 3.3 Sep 4.5 Oct 5.3
- 5 nights in historic inns
- 11 meals – 5 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners
- FREE use of our custom VBT hybrid bicycle and helmet
- Service of two VBT Trip Leaders
- FULL VAN SUPPORT
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- Boat transfer to Little Cranberry Island and visit to the Isleford Historical Museum
- Round trip bike ferry to Schoodic Peninsula
- Admission to Acadia National Park
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation. See details.