Ireland: Walking the West Country
We’ll walk along beloved pathways by the Killarney Lakes, the glacial valley of the Gap of Dunloe, the Kerry Peninsula, Gleninchaquin Park, and Derrynane Bay, each location a living dream. We’ll also encounter the warmth, wit, and welcoming charm of the Irish people, as we join them in their cozy homes and convivial village pubs for refreshment and entertainment, as only the Irish can provide.
- Explore the green meadows, forested hillsides, and glistening streams and lakes of Killarney National Park.
- Discover the Gap of Dunloe, a spectacular glacial valley, on foot or via a horse-drawn jaunting cart.
- Walk through history along the old paths known as Kerry Way, Ireland’s most famous walking trail.
- Hear a local Irishman present a performance piece on his childhood, and later join him in his home for tea and scones.
- Meet the dedicated local custodians of beautifully groomed Gleninchaquin Park.
- Visit the ancestral home of Daniel O'Connell, one of Ireland's leading historical figures, and enjoy lunch at the café.
- Mingle with welcoming charming locals in festive village pubs.
What to Expect
This tour features a combination of paved roads and easy terrain, mixed with moderate hills, moorland and uneven footpaths, ideal for enthusiastic beginners to experienced walkers. Due to Ireland’s climate, the footpaths can often be wet and muddy. Our VBT minibus support is available at specified meeting points for those who need assistance. Both morning and afternoon walk options are available most days. Several of the walks require a transfer from our hotel to the start of the walk. Our tour leaders often use this time in the van for our morning route review, so we can enjoy a more leisurely morning at breakfast.
Average Daily Mileage: 4 - 8 miles
Average Cycling Time: 2 - 5 hours
Average Daily Temperature (°F) – Killarney
Jun 72° Jul 74° Aug 75° Sep 72°
Average Rainfall (in.) – Killarney
Jun 3 Jul 4 Aug 4 Sep 5
Walking Tour Only – without Air
- 6 nights in historical 4-star hotels and guesthouses
- 13 meals – 6 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 3 dinners
Air Package Plus
- 8 nights in 4-star hotels and guesthouses
- 15 meals – 8 Irish breakfasts, 4 lunches, 3 dinners
- Roundtrip international airfare
- Included walking tour of Kinsale with a local guide
- AND the option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extensions: Pre-trip: Cork – 2 nights for only $245 • Post-trip: Dublin – 2 nights for only $445
Both Vacation Options Include
- Service of two VBT Trip Leaders
- On-tour vehicle support
- FREE use of our custom VBT walking poles
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation
- Special Good Buy Discount