Heart of France Bike & Barge: Paris - Montargis
Just outside Paris, lazy canals wend their way through France’s bucolic countryside, leading to endless cultural delights and quaint villages. Experience it in the most personal and relaxed fashion as you embark a slow-moving deluxe barge, with daily reels into rolling fields and sylvan forests. Coast into colorful artists’ villages. Explore the renowned Château Fontainebleau. And linger with the locals—beekeepers, farmers, painters, and art lovers—who find inspiration in everyday pleasures, It’s a rich and rewarding glimpse of the heart of France that you can only achieve by bike and barge, and only with VBT!
- Wander the ancient streets of the village of Melun
- Discover Barbizon, home to an artistic revolution
- Explore the UNESCO Site of Château Fontainebleau
- Visit Grez-sur-Loing, a beloved artists’ village
- Picnic at the home of local artist Pascal Bost
- Enjoy a guided walk of medieval Château Landon
- Taste the harvest of local beekeepers
- Immerse yourself in rural France by private barge
- Visit the Bourdelle sculpture garden Museum
What To Expect
This tour offers easy to moderate terrain on bike paths and roads through both urban and rural areas. There are undulating roads, and some of the bike paths are unpaved. Our VBT support shuttle is available every day at designated points for those who need assistance.
Average Daily Mileage: 10 – 38 miles
Average Daily Cycling Time: 2 – 4 hours on bike paths and roads through both urban and rural areas
Average High/Low Temperature (°F) – Paris
Apr 60°/45° May 67°/52° Jun 73°/57° Jul 77°/60° Aug 77°/60° Sep 70°/55°
Average Precipitation (in.) – Paris
Apr 2 May 2.5 Jun 2 Jul 2.5 Aug 2.1 Sep 1.9
Bicycle Vacation Only – without Air
- 7 nights aboard a canal barge
- 15 meals – 7 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 5 dinners
Air Package Plus
- Roundtrip international airfare
- 7 nights aboard a canal barge, 1 night in a Paris hotel at both the start and finish of the barge tour
- 17 meals – 9 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 5 dinners.
- AND the option to add our Low-Cost Trip Extensions: Pre-trip – 2 nights for only $495, or Post-trip Paris – 2 nights for only $495
Both Vacation Options Include
- 1 glass of wine with all dinners aboard the barge
- FREE use of our custom VBT bicycle and helmet
- Service of two bilingual VBT Trip Leaders
- 6 days of cycling with FULL VAN SUPPORT during the cruise portion of your trip
- Daily route directions and maps
- Welcome reception
- Sightseeing and cultural activities
- Special Good Buy Discount
- 5% Frequent Traveler Credit to use on your next VBT vacation. See details.
New! Reading List
Click here to download our Heart of France Suggested Reading List.