Top 5 Reasons to Take an Active Vacation this Fall
VBT Bicycling and Walking Vacations Provides Travelers with Unique Itineraries to Discover the Benefits of Fall Travel such as Reduced Crowds, Harvest Festivals and Vibrant Foliage
BRISTOL, VT — June 24, 2015 — Fall in love with fall and venture out on a VBT Bicycling and Walking Vacation perfect for actively experiencing the beauty of the season. Embark on one of four enchanting New England tours including Acadia National Park and three in Vermont, where travelers cycle through the beautiful landscape where VBT first began more than 40 years ago. For travelers looking for more exotic fall excursions, branch out to see the fall festivals of Eastern Europe, enjoy the extended summer of Sicily and the stunning scenery of New Zealand. VBT President Gregg Marston provides his autumn favorites across the globe.
(1) Experience Fall Foliage in Vermont
One of the highlights of taking a VBT tour is the ability to cycle through the beauty of the outdoors. All three Vermont tours feature opportunities to view the brilliant colors during the peak of fall foliage.
- Cycle past Cedar Lake and stop to catch a glimpse of the Champlain Valley, the Adirondacks and Otter Creek, all before arriving at the lakeside Basin Harbor Club on the Classic Vermont
- Immerse in the culture and classic beauty of Vermont by visiting Burlington’s Church Street Marketplace and admiring geological history at the Fisk Quarry’s fossil reef on the Vermont: Champlain Valley & Islands
- Get an insider’s look at Vermont’s famed farm-to-table movement during visits to a working dairy farm and while sampling locally-made cheese at the Plymouth Cheese Factory, purchase traditional Vermont-maple syrup at a “sugar house” during a tasting and tour and sip on a local draft at a Vermont craft beer brewery, plus enjoy a quintessential Vermont stay in Woodstock on the Biking Southern Vermont: A New England Idyll
(2) Leaf Peeping in Acadia
Guests will explore nature and take advantage of the fall weather and vivid colors on VBT’s Maine Coast: Purely Acadia trip.
- Cycle past the dramatic, glacially-carved fjord at Somes Sound before setting sight on the incredible fall colors of the Asticou gardens in Northeast Harbor.
- After exploring Bubble Pond and Cadillac Mountain, unwind during a free concert on Bar Harbor’s Town Green, while appreciating the surrounding coastal landscape.
- Indulge in locally-caught Maine lobster and board a lobster boat to Cranberry Island, populated by a community of boat builders, craftsmen and lobsterman. Travelers visit the Islesford Historical Museum, which explores what it was like living on this remote island in the 1800’s.
(3) Avoid Crowds on Quiet Pathways through Three Different European Countries
There’s no better way to reflect on the year and take advantage of the serenity of exploring the outdoors than going on the Walking Austria, Germany, & the Czech Republic: A Bohemian Rhapsody tour with VBT this autumn.
- Guests will be inspired in St. Gilgen am Wolfgangsee, Austria while they wander down the calming paths that are widely recognized from The Sound of Music’s opening scenes.
- VBT travelers will be enamored by the aromatic pine trees lining the pathway along Lake Fuschl, creating the perfect sense of tranquility in Austria.
- Take a stroll along the world’s longest tree top walk in the Bavarian Forest National Park where travelers will walk through different layers of forest canopy to experience the amazing panoramic views of the Bavarian Forest and nearby mountains.
- Learn about local history from an expert local guide on a walking tour of Tabor, known for its historic main square, man-made lake and Botanical Gardens before retracing ancient steps on a medieval passage that once served as the main road to Czech’s largest city, Prague.
(4) Perfect Weather in Sicily
Experience both the warmth of the weather and the friendliness of the locals on Sicily: Biking the Southern Coastal Villages while savoring the Italian cuisine and drinking a glass of vino.
- Help prepare a traditional Sicilian dinner of eggplant parmesan after spending the day admiring Baroque churches and cycling beside olive and carob trees.
- Take a dip in the refreshing waters of the Mediterranean and enjoy a gelato before continuing to bike southeastern Sicily.
- Spend the day picnicking on the grounds of a local family’s home before taking in the scenery at a neighborhood garden.
(5) Gorgeous Nature in New Zealand
The exposure to nature is limitless on VBT’s New Zealand: The South Island tour. Whether biking, walking, swimming or kayaking, travelers are able absorb the nature around them and relish in its lush landscapes. Traveling in the southern hemisphere also extends the window for active travel as North America’s winter is New Zealand’s summer.
- Cycle through mountains, glaciers, waterfalls, rainforests and vineyard-laden hillsides. Explore uninhabited territory and witness the unspoiled beaches and the rich wildlife of the Okarito Lagoon.
- Spend two nights at the remote Lake Moeraki Wilderness Lodge, where environmentalist Dr. Gerry McSweeney leads travelers on informative nature walks in the surrounding coastal rainforest.
- Bike along the scenic Clutha River and stop at a local winery for tastings and a picnic in a scenic garden before heading to the A.J. Hackett Bungy at the Kawarau Bridge on the route to Queenstown.
VBT has limited-time offers on active vacations this fall with select itineraries featuring discounts up to $500 per person if booked by June 30, 2015. Visit www.vbt.com for details. Additionally, visit https://www.vbt.com/offers/web-specials/ for ongoing offers. To request a catalog or reserve a VBT active vacation, visit www.vbt.com or call 877-395-5290. Mention the booking code VBT1518.
Gianna Wyatt, Quinn
212-868-1900 ext. 278